dell win 7 install cd

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chris45, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris45

chris45 Registered Member

would a dell win 7 install cd work on a non dell computer?

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have used Dell XP CDs to repair non Dell computers. It works, but requires a call to Microsoft to activate since it causes a license conflict. If the Windows 7 DVD is not tied to the hardware that you should be able to install, but may have the license issue when you're done. To resolve that you need a valid (non OEM) license for the non Dell computer.

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Last week I installed Dell OEM XP Pro SP3 on a Toshiba laptop that had no restore disks. When I went to activate it I chose the "By Phone" option and on one of the following screens there is button on the bottom of the window giving the option of changing the license key (below where you input a code MS gives you when you call). I just entered the Toshiba XP Pro key and it activated without having to call MS.

Unless Win7 is different, as long as both keys are OEM and of the same SKU (Home, Pro, etc) it should work.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's good to know. I guess when I've done it the second license has always been a retail version and I've had to make the call.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I wasn't sure if it would work or not at first, I was just going on a hunch (which is my method of learning about things, lol). After I had entered Toshiba's code I backed out of the phone option screen and went to activate by internet with my fingers crossed and "Yes!!!".

Today I was thinking that Vista/Win7 has all the SKUs (except Enterprise) on the installation DVD and the key determined which one got installed. Then it shouldn't matter if you wanted to install Home Premium using an Ultimate disk as your key would install HP. And as before the installation disk and the key must be OEM (or both Retail if that is the case).

I will have to try this out one day when the occasion arises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.