Dell will sell Linux Desktop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Antarctica, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Interesting news for Linux lovers.:)

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8436091466.html

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not a bad idea.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Oh man haha I had to get mine last year.

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Although I don't care about the fact that linux is preinstalled (except for saving people money from having to pay exorbitant fees for a so-so OS ;) ), it is great to know that they are shipping laptops with full linux support, while the desktops doesn't really matter for the most part since everything they use is pretty standard. However, I doubt they would preload all the laptops with ndiswrapper, since that would be a supreme PITA, so linux friendly wireless cards will be preinstalled which is nice

Cheersm

Alphalutra1

5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think it's odd that Dell only does this on user request. Are they well managed? Sure, i bet they make tons, but what about the long term?

I say this because, if you're really serious about it, you can't be stuck on one OS, one company, Microsoft. What long term goals do you have?

Of course, this can be said about all manufacturers, that seem to get only the short term. Considering this, Dell seems better, way better.
    I'm ignorant here, what other manufacturers do something of the sort, major players?

Technology is another thing, note, but this should be critical in long term planning. Do we want to be more dependant on a software developer? Surrender, and follow? Or do we want to be active, and explore alternatives, so we can be prepared?
    Maybe for some reason (not sure how), that's not that important to hardware manufacturers, but i recall from Porter some key points about the Competitive Forces Model, one of them being bargaining power of the suppliers, which in this case is Microsoft supplying the pre-installed OS.
    Not sure.

Even more puzzling is other software developers, like imaging, graphics, games, etc. Isn't it obvious the Microsoft is going to step in your business?
    Imaging their own OS is an obvious expectation.
    Games: already with their foot in. They should be steping in with the other in following years.
    etc.

It's all based on one OS, and that company will make sure they'll sell everything on one package. Do you think users will look for alternatives? (the masses).

Don't you want to be multi-platform? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.