Dell Stand By mode issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pentangle, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pentangle

Pentangle Registered Member

After my Dell Optiplex GX-270 has gone into stand by mode for any
    length of time, the only way to "re-awaken" it is by pressing the
    on/off switch until the computer shuts down and then re-starting it.
    Everything then runs normally. If I just move the mouse or touch the
    keyboard it sounds like it's about to "awaken" but the hard drive
    light just blinks endlessly with an audible click with each blink.
    This problem started about a month ago but I can't recall any special
    event that caused this. I phoned Dell tech but they weren't able to
    help although they ran all the hard drive diagnostics and everything
    was fine. I'm running XP SP2 and in every other way the computer is
    functioning normally. Thanks for any assistance.

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

I have in the past disabled hibernate mode. to do this right click the desktop and select properties then select screensaver then select power then select the hibernate tab and uncheck hibernate.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

4. Pentangle

Pentangle Registered Member

Thanks GF - tons of info, much of it beyond my ken. The Windows annoyances thread was fantastic but seemed to deal mostly with Stand By not stopping the fans or similar. My problem is getting out of Stand By. I have disabled hibernate and tried various configuration settings, but all to no avail. Can't figure why this problem would start after two years of it working fine. Guess I'll just have to live with it and simply turn off the computer if I'm going to be away from it for awhile. In your view, is it better to simply leave the machine running or turn it off?

Thanks for your time.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

That's a pro/con question turning your box off and one I don't feel has any right or wrong answer. For myself with a laptop, off if I know my eye's are shell-shocked from too many Google response's or have to run out for something or another. Otherwise a few hour's in the morning and few at night is about the sum of it. Concerning either standby or hibernate I've read waaay too many problem's arising from their use, including several M$ document's admitting a less than perfect implementation. That standby work's on the principle of less electricity ~ or so the concept goes ~ my inexperienced "hunch" lean's toward's something having to do with the power supply or how it's addressed by the system.

Currently I've started probing ~ yes, probing ~ :D an experienced computer buddy of mine for possible hardware related issue's which may be a root cause of what your experiencing so, keep a tab on this thread, I'll update you as I learn more.

If the latest BIOS for your system is intact, motherboard's chipset device driver's updated, here's one more page I thought you might have a look at.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_standby.htm

GF

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.