DELL SATA Support

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rhg0, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhg0

rhg0 Registered Member

I have a Dell machine with a SATA drive that is not supported by Ghost 9.0. I won't even begin to tell you how bad Symantac Support is nowadays but I am looking for another drive imaging program. I have an Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller. Will TI work with my machine. If it does I will gladly buy it and burn my copy of Ghost.

Thanks,

Russ Ganz

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

It worked extremely well on mine (non-raid). Try to make them give you version 791 as opposed to the current 796. Version 796 has a very slow and possibly buggy boot disk.

3. Deus

Deus Registered Member

True Image can work with your config.
    First u must know that u use a Softwareraid with SATA Onbaordchipsets if u set the SATA to Raidmodi. As next u have to change the AHCI to SATA, then True Image detects the Harddrives. If u run in AHCI True Image dont find the Harddisks.This u can do in your Bios of the Machine.

Next point is, that a softwareraid cannot supported from the normal Bootmedia of True Image, cause the Drivers are not avail for your Chipset. So u have to build a "safe rescuemedia" of True Image and now True Image can communicate via INT13 with the Controller and now you are able to Image the Systempartition in a second Partition inside the RAID. Same for restore, the Image MUST be inside a Partition of the Raid for example inside D: oder E:, boot from safe rescuemedia and rewrite your Image to C:

Best regards

4. rhg0

rhg0 Registered Member

You lost me here
    <<
    next u have to change the AHCI to SATA
    >>
    Can you give me some details on what you mean.

Thanks,

Russ

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Russ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Current version of Acronis True Image 8.0 does support Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller and you will be able to work with it using Acronis Bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

A favor please.

if you do buy this, before you install it you should get a utility called HdTach
    (its free). Install it, run it and remember the numbers (HD speed).
    Then after installing ATI, run it again and check the numbers against the first
    set of numbers.

The reason i ask this is that i believe the "snapman.sys" (an acronisTI file)
    that gets attached as a HD driver creates a slowdown on data throughput.
    Those readings (before and after) could clarify this issue once and for all. I
    also have a SATA setup and its showing about a 15 MB drop in throughput.

If you find this is, or is not, the case, a feedback from you would help others
    and Acronis.

thanks,
    savagcl

7. rhg0

rhg0 Registered Member

If I buy TI I will get those numbers. Have you uninstalled the product and gotten those numbers for comparison against when TI was installed.

Russ

8. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

If they had a good un-install procedure i would have those numbers.
    Apparently its easy to install but a bi*ch to uninstall. It does not uninstall
    everything but leaves a lot behind in the registry and also the snapman.sys
    driver attached to the HD.

Eventually, i'll get mad enough to "try" the uninstall and just realize that a full
    winXP install will be necessary to fully get rid of it.

Food for thought!

savagcl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.