Dell Optiplex 755 & Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pdev55, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdev55

pdev55 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Been using Acronis now at the Hospital i work in, for a year, ive always been impressed with how quickly ive been able to image machines and have a user up and running with all their clinical applications and so on. Up untill yesterday when we had a delivery of 100 dell optiplex 755's, i purposely got them delivered without an OS because we have a liscence with acronis and an EA agreement with Microsoft, unfortunately as some of you guys have experienced i cant image them because acronis doesnt recognise the network adapter or the hard drives which are SATA, the error message states that acronis can't find any hard drives, please help :)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pdev55,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Please check that you're have the latest build of Acronis True Image software (and your Acronis Bootable Rescue Media is created with this build). If you're using the latest build and the issue still exist then could you please provide us with the exact version of Acronis True Image software you're using.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

3. pdev55

pdev55 Registered Member

Hi guys,

You have provided me with a solution through corporate support it just didnt have the network card drivers in it, an ideal situation would be a way of getting the updated boot cd on my existing pxe server,

pdev55

4. mieb

mieb Registered Member

We have the same problems with Optiplex 755. I fixed SATA problem by switching from AHCI to SATA mode in BIOS, of course we had only 5 machines this month but 40 up to come.
    But the only way to boot up was a PE disk...

5. Acronis Support

Hello pdev55,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please reply to the last e-mail received from Acronis Support with a description of the problem (lack of network support), and follow further instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. Acronis Support

Hello mieb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify, what version and build of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. pdev55

pdev55 Registered Member

Ive replied to your latest email would there be anyway possible of updating the boot media i created to our ris server for these dell 755's, its gonna be a bit of a nitemare booting 100 pc's with cd, rather than using a 24 port switch and pxe booting them, i think as a corporate customer this aint much to ask for :D , ive tried the latest version of acronis through our liscence agrrement with no solution at all,

pdev

8. hankk17

hankk17 Registered Member

I'm also having issues with Acronis and 755s. Using Acronis 9.1 and it's the same thing - either the hard drive isn't recognized or it can't see the network.

Also have been seeing something else that's troubling. on 2 of the 755s I've managed to get an acronis image on those machines now continually reboot during startup in XP... they get to loading mup.sys and boom - restart.

How I got the image on the 755 was I used an optiplex 740 as my "mule" if you will. I created the image on the 755, then sysprepped. took the hard drive out, ran acronis to capture the image. took the hard drive out of the 740 and put it back in the next 755 I needed to build and let it come up and try to install itself and I get the problem with rebooting. Ghost 8.3 doesn't seem to have this issue.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

9. pdev55

pdev55 Registered Member

That problem m8 with your machine rebooting at mup.sys in safe mode is the sata raid drivers, change bios operation to legacy, then image machine and you ll have no reboots on further machines, im very dissapointed in acronis to be honest, i was hoping to boot all these machines from acronis that is installed on our RIS server, but the pxe image from the ris server doesnt have the ability to recognise these dell 755's, acronis need to look at this as its not acceptable for corporate customers! booting 100 pcs from cd is a bit of a time killer!

10. hankk17

hankk17 Registered Member

SWEET! this fixed my issue, thanks very much!! you have no idea how long I've been imaging and reimaging and imaging some more.. and then after that.. I even imaged it again thinking all the while it was something messed up with the boot sector.

I even tried running boot sector repair utils, I flashed the BIOS to A04 (most recent) etc.

The odd thing is that I've got some older 755s (shipped to me in the summer) and they were able to be ghosted at least without any issues. Somewhere along the line the decision was made at Dell to change that default from legacy to RAID Autodetect/AHCI

I even called Dell and the gold support tech on the other end was stymied.

Anyhow, the lingering problem DOES remain that acronis won't load the proper nic driver or at times won't see the drive. I've read on other threads that Acronis Snap Deploy will work, but from brief testing I've done.. sadly it does not.

We need the ability to add in our own NIC drivers somehow.

Thanks again dude, I definitely appreciate the help. good luck with your deploys.. but I can tell you Ghost 8.3 does indeed work.

11. pdev55

pdev55 Registered Member

I tried to post an ISO file for you, but post got removed cause the mods on this site think that i was trying to take revenge on acronis, just to let you guys now i was simply stating the fact that acronis have not lived up to their expectations, people are paying real money for these products and then being forced to troubleshoot acronis's problems for them by typing linux commands etc, so there ya go Rant Over!

12. Jackb

Jackb Registered Member

I emailed Acronis yesterday and they sent me a temporary link to an ISO that was a bootable CD that saw teh Intel NIC and the hard drive in my Dell 755 Optiplex.

I have imaged the drive with no problem! Finally :)

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Go throughthe motions of doing a restore, right up to the final Proceed, jsut to make sure that the CD can see your drives both when yuo choose a backup file to restore and when you select a drive as the target for the restore. If you can get that far successfully, it's 99% that you can do a successful restore. Of coure, 100% probability of success can only be determined by doing an actual restore -- like maybe to a spare drive if you have one.

good luck

14. MystaMax

MystaMax Registered Member

My NICs in my Optiplex 755 are visible, after downloading the latest build of Acronis True Image Workstation (build 8,039).

Thanks for your help Michael.

15. balbright

balbright Registered Member

I am having the exact problem with Acronis 8.039 with the Dell 755 Optiplex systems as well. I also updated the Bios to the current version but the nic drivers are still not being recognized.

I just sent an email to support regarding this.

Hopefully I will get quick response as I also have several systems to roll out.

Thanks.

Berri

16. Acronis Support

Hello balbright,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. aleph

aleph Registered Member

Optiplex 755, Acronis True Image 9.1: Switch to legacy mode in the BIOS and you won't even know you're dealing with a problem child.

18. balbright

balbright Registered Member

Hi Marat,

my Acronis issue number is #1358945.

I downloaded the latest build for True Image/Echo build 8072. It still doesn't recognize the nic drivers.

I also tried all three drive options in Bios, ATA, Legacy and ACHI but this affected nothing.

The nic is an Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network card.

Can you please send me the update the you sent the other person having my exact issue.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.