Dell laptops hanging on "Applying computer settings" after V3 install.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sargey, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargey

sargey Registered Member

I have installed NOD32 on about 40 machine using RA and I have had 2 laptops (So far!) that are now hanging on "Applying computer settings".

If I disconnect the network lead, it works fine.

I had a look at the below thread and followed the instructions, but I'm still getting problem.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=167833

Anyone got any Ideas?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The thread you point is about v2 . IMON is not present in v3 any more . v3's web protection works differently .

I guess there is some kind of incompatibility with Dell installed software . Search for them and uninstall any you may not want (I am sure there are plenty) .

Otherwise , install NOD32 v2.7 on these computers . 2.7 will do the protection job very well

3. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Ever find a solution for this? I have the same problem on two computers after an RA push for ESS V3.0.642

Both computers run fine if I boot to Safe mode with Networking, disable the ESET Service, boot normally and then enable the ESET Service. Everything appears fine and the firewall behaves as expected. Both computers are in use for the day with strict instructions not to reboot.

It also works fine if I disconnect the Network lead until after logging on. The profiles are not roaming. The My Documents folder is redirected.

I've tried a complete ESET uninstall, clean and then reinstall but the problem remains. It hangs for about fifteen minutes and then the logon screen appears but it then hangs for more than an hour and I haven't tried for longer.

An AutoEnrollment EventID 15 is logged with ESET enabled or without the Network cable connected but nothing else. This Event is not logged with ESET disabled and the Network connected.

I've also tried updating and reinstalling the Intel Network Drivers and running the "netsh winsock reset" command.

Both computers were fine and working normally with ESS installed and configured. On both at nearly the same time, the very last thing I did was uninstall Microsoft Retail Management System V1.2. Neither booted again after this uninstall.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: This has now been resolved. Booting once without the Network cable appears to rectify the issue.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Sounds like a DNS issue.....since you're talking about a large number of computers...I'm assuming a network..I'll assume a domain..active directory..thus DNS.

Classic symptom of long login periods....the PC is not using the DCs IP address for its 1 and only DNS server.

Classic re-enforcement of this symptom..unplugging network cable makes the long login period "appear" to go away..as the PC falls back to a locally cached login.

So I'd look at the TCP/IP of the problematic machines....check what they're using for DHCP...ensure they have your DCs IP as their one and only DNS.

5. mickhardy

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that path as well. One machine is working fine now but the other one hung again this morning at logon. Both machines are set to obtain IP and DNS settings from the SBS 2003 Server and do so fine when the ESET service is disabled.

They were originally joined using the ConnectComputer wizard and haven't had any issues prior to installing and then reinstalling ESS.

No other computer on the Network suffers from this issue. Both were working fine when I left last night and I rebooted each about five times to be sure. This morning, nothing has changed but one hung when the user logged on. I had to do another cold shutdown, disable the ESET service, boot and then enable the ESET service. It seems to working OK now its booted.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  7. mickhardy

A gave it a shot but it wasn't quick. It broke ESET ESS completely.

"The personal firewall is disabled most likely due to its installation being corrupted. We recommend that you reinstall ESET Smart Security as soon as possible."

I tried a couple of reboots and then a complete ESET uninstall, clean and reinstall and so far - touch wood, the problem appears to have gone away. Nice!

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Most appreciated.

8. mickhardy

Well, that didn't last long. After about five or six reboots, I'm back to square one. I thought it was the fix and applied it to the other problem computer, which had begun playing up again.

Both computers are currently hung on Applying Computer Settings. Back to disabling the ESET service until after the boot process and I'll leave both logged on for the night so the users don't have to witness this BS in the morning. Starting to wear very thin...time for a beer.

9. goldrushtech

goldrushtech Registered Member

I am having similer issues with windows 2003 server.

I have a terminal server. I simply removed ESS and just installed the AV. That solved that problem.

However today restarted my SBS server and got the same thing.

I got it to go by removing the network cable, which is interesting exercise when its a vmware virtual box. Just waited until the disk light stopped flashing before plugging the network cable back in. Applying computer settings was still showing, but it did start a few minutes later. I can't remember, but I could have pushed ESS on to the SBS and then removed it. I'll try doing a winsock reset with netsh tonight.

10. mickhardy

Did you say you installed ESS V3.0 on an SBS2003 Server?

I would strongly recommend against this. I'm not sure if they've rectified the lockup issues and conflicts with ISA 2004 yet but EAV V3 does not yet support Exchange so you have to stick with V2.7 on an Exchange Server for the interim. I'm not sure ESS will ever be suitable for SBS2003, especially if you have ISA 2004 installed.

The winsock reset didn't rectify the issue and I wouldn't attempt that on an SBS 2003 Server.

I still have this issue on two XP computers, which are part of an SBS2003 domain. I'm yet to submit an ESET SysInspector Report but I'm all out of ideas. At the moment, these two users never log off. I have determined this is an intermittent issue and is usually OK if they log off and then log on but generally hangs if they reboot completely. Sometimes it boots fine though.

The only solution I have at the moment is boot without the network cable or boot to Safe mode with Networking, disable the ESET Service, boot normally and enable the ESET Service.

All remaining computers, including Notebooks behave fine.

Anyone got any other suggestions or possible work arounds?

11. mickhardy

I've finally solved this issue.

There was a conflict with Microsoft Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003. I uninstalled this from the problem machines and the issue is completely resolved.

I noticed both problem machines had SQL Server instances available when I was selecting our real SQL Server for an application on the Server.

I remembered the last thing I did before the issue on both machines - as mentioned earlier - was uninstall Microsoft Retail Management System V1.2 which came with an instance of MSDE. I checked the services and although the RMS MSSQL instance was gone, there was an instance for Business Contact Manager, MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM. We don' use this software, so I uninstalled it and the problem has disappeared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.