Dell installs spyware?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by aigle, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

zcv's twentieth post is the way to go.

GF

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I poted it in two laptop forums. There are many dell users there on these boards and none of them confirmed this at the moment.
    Prople there do blame Dell for putting some bloatware, trialware etc but that of course is not spyware/ adware, and they recommend a clean install of OS just after buying Dell lptops.

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

My dell computer game with Myway installed, and dell removed the option to remove it from add/remove programs :mad: . I finally found a fix though, and I am spyware free thank goodness. Dell no longer gives cds with drivers and the os as well, so I have to call them one of these days...

Alphalutra1

6. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m going to be in the market for a new laptop in the near furure so I can now cross Dell off my list.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just another heads up concerning Dell (and probably) all major brands in the future. They are now getting "parts specific". Meaning once you sre off warranty and a piece of hardware go`s bad, in many cases your only option for replacement will be from Dell. Can you say $$$$ ? I knew you could.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi BJ

Take a look at Velocity Micro (http://www.velocitymicro.com) They only install windows and what is appropriate for the hardware(drivers, etc). The do have a few neat free packages, but they aren't trials, and if you don't want them, you don't get them. Also you get recovery DVD's and full windows CD's. Finally support is fantastic. Generally get straight thru to support, and if they say they will call back, they do.

Pete

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Let's keep at least part of this in perspective - I just picked up a Dell E510 system box (80 GB SATA, 512 MB RAM, 3.0 GHz P4-HT, ATI PCIe 128 MB video, Windows Media XP) from Dell Outlet for $288 total cost delivered to my home - there were some decent discounts. Yes, some parts are proprietary, but not the ones typical users interchange or generally need to deal with. I really think you'll have a hard time finding a better deal if you want to keep costs low. Add a mid level 17" flat panel LCD monitor monitor for $200, and it's a rather nice system for less than $500.

As for the spyware...., Dell does load it up with a bunch of junk. As far as I can see on the machine just delivered, all of it is readily pulled if desired. By the way, My Way Search Assistant was not on my machine.

As for choosing a PC based on the preloaded software, that's what a nuke and pave operation is for :)

Blue

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think u cam safely go for Dell as what I can huess from posts is that Dell aborted thsi practice already.
    Just there is some bloatware but not spyware of course that u can remove easily or still u can opt for clean OS install( that,s my preference).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.