Dell Inspiron 1520 will not restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Frank1212, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank1212

Frank1212 Registered Member

Hi, I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. Acronis 10 images it fine but will not restore the image. It starts and usually begins the process but hangs in a few minutes. I have restored and retried it numerous times.

I've deleted all the Dell recovery partitions and formated the entire drive so the drive should be clean.

160 gig 7200 rpm sata drive

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Is the True image program the one that is crashing during the restoration process? Or did the restoration complete but the replacement hard drive won't bootup? Also are you using CD/DVD media to restore your hard drive or an external drive? And finally are you using windows xp or Vista?

3. Frank1212

True Image hangs in the restore process, usually about 2 or 3 "squares" into the restore. PC Freezes (and obviously, on a reboot there is nothing there so I need to reload Vista again to test it once more)

I partitioned the 1 drive with C: and D: and stored the image on D: So I am restoring my image from D: back to C:

I am using the latest version of Acronis

OS is Vista Premium

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Why not try doing the restore from the ATI Rescue CD. Do some search on the forum for previous postings with the same problem. Do you have a Vista Cd from which you can do a REPAIR function--should there be a need?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

GroverH is right.

And, using the Rescue CD, you can select SAFE mode since the image is on the internal hard drive.

6. Frank1212

It also will not work with the rescue CD. I made a new one just to be sure.

The computer works just fine.

But can't restore...booting from the rescue to Disk Director say "disk not found", (DD works just fine running it from within Vista) True Image safe or full from the rescue CD gives me black screen with a flashing cursor after choosing recovery.

Thanks for the replies.

frank

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Frank1212,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

When you created the Recovery CD, did you include the SAFE mode as well as the Full mode?

When it boots, you get a screen where you have to select SAFE or Full mode. Do you see that screen?

9. Frank1212

Thanks for the replies and feedback on my problem.

I can restore using the safe version with the CD, but can not restore without using the CD.

After more diagnosis, I am pretty convinced I have hard drive problem (unallocated space appears, I fix it and then a while later, it's back again) and then I started hearing a 'clicking" sound from my hard drive every few minutes.

New laptop on the way. I hope this resolves my problem because this is the best imaging s/w I've ever used

Thanks again to everyone.

frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.