Dell hit for $4 million for deception

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Dell has been around a long time and users generally like their computers.

The post wasn't meant to condemn Dell but to make users aware of issues concerning their business practices.

Whether you agree or disagree, the facts are there to read.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Is not mentioned anywhere in this post.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The topic is Dell, not Microsoft. ;)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I certainly wouldn't let negative news prevent me from using any vendor I choose. Negative stories pop up all the time. Use your best judgement and be happy.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yeah, opportunistic MS bashing really is not cool. Bash when due, otherwise, :blink: There really is no comparison between Dell and MS, or the marketing tactics used by either. MS makes software that almost everyone wants and uses (estimates as high as 90% market share), AND can run on PC hardware from ANY maker, of which Dell is just one, and not the biggest either.
    In actuality, Dell's market share has been falling for years - currently only 13.2%, 6 points behind HP who's share continues to rise, as does Acer's. Perhaps it is that loss that drove the greed of Dell's bean counters, I don't know. But I do know Dell does not have to contend with $millions of lost revenue due to software thieves and pirates. I don't think you will find many counterfeit Dell's out there. What Dell needed to deal with was broken PCs - which humans are very capable of creating - a fact Dell greatly underestimated, then tried to hide and were very slow in correcting (not broken PCs, but getting them - those under warranty - fixed).

RE: http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/1/dell-losing-market-share-in-anemic-pc-market-dell

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

My reason for never buying a Dell again is due to very weak tech support,,,something most regulars on this forum probably would not experience since they tend to be tech savvy. Dell tech support way too frequently told me to reformat and reinstall for problems that I was eventually able to resolve without having to do this. In fact. I am a bit grateful to this practice because it forced me to learn to deal with problems myself.

8. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

I use a dell now, when it breaks down I am through with dell. Have to buy parts from them, everyday parts won't work, such as a mb's and power supply.
    Don't like having tech-support on the other side of the planet, having to hang up on the ones I can't understand, call again and again until someone I can understand (speaks English well enough to understand).

Dell use to be the best, but that was a long time ago.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Any suggestions for a pc maker with good support, preferably in the USA?

10. Bill_Bright

Build your own, or find a local buyer that uses standard ATX Form Factor PSUs, motherboards, and cases.

11. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

www.pugetsystems.com :D

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I agree build your own. Much better for compatibility and doing upgrades.

13. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

I thought he ask about a pc maker in the USA with good support? o_O

14. Bill_Bright

And I gave him the best answer - self built or a good local shop.

15. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

Sure if you have the expertize and time. And time to track down a good local shop. My local shop was a disappointment. Maybe he/she will strike gold.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  16. Bill_Bright

That's why you have to do your homework first - just like finding a good car mechanic, you need to research. Ask friends and neighbors. Look them up with the BBB or your local consumer protection agency to see if any complaints. Check warranties.

Your Puget Systems may very well be a good shop - they do use good products - however their selections are very limited, unless you like ASUS and WD only. But what if it breaks and you live in Florida? At least with Dell, HP, or Acer/Gateway you are likely to find a local repair shop authorized to do warranty work. But then with the big names, you may get stuck with expensive proprietary parts again - forcing you do use ONLY factory-authorized warranty repair centers. :(

"Assembling" a computer takes no real skill and one #2 Phillips screwdriver. It only takes a little familiarity with the components and how they mount, care to avoid damage from mishandling and ESD, a little dexterity, and a strategically placed tongue. Okay, that may be beyond the skills or comfort levels of many "normal" users, but any local shop should be able to assemble "standard" components. If your shop can not even do that, you did not do your homework.

Installing the operating system can be more daunting, but still within the skillset of most users, if they do their homework first.

The key thing for self-builts is the knowledge gained during the process. If you build your own, upgrading to a new graphics card, or adding another drive becomes an doable task, and not a foreboding nightmare. If you have a local shop do it, you can take it back, look them eye to eye, and have them fix it. Your local shop needs your return business, and needs you to tell your friends and neighbors about them as every sale matters - not so much with Dell or HP.

Well, as noted above, the expertise needed to assemble a PC and install Windows is not great. But if you don't have the time or inclination to learn how or to research, then go to Best Buy and pick one off the shelf.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

18. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

Why do you say build it your self or the worst suggestion you can give for buying a computer(Worstbuy)?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
  19. Bill_Bright

I already said why to build it yourself. As for buying from BestBuy, what difference does it make if you buy a Dell, Acer, Gateway, or HP from BestBuy, Walmart, or wherever? It is still a Dell, Acer, Gateway or HP, and BestBuy often has decent prices. You didn't like the suggestion to buy from a reputable local shop, so what more you want?

20. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

This thread is going nowhere fast.

Yes build it yourself!
    But, don't go to the big box stores you listed.

21. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

22. Bill_Bright

And by all means, if you live in the Seattle, WA area, Puget Systems may be a good, "local" shop to check out, as I mentioned earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.