Dell Dimension E521 wont clone + more

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by guruuno, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

I have latest version of TI9 w/Universal Restore, popped recovery cd into Dell E521, splash screen, nothing else.

Wound up having to take out 250Gb SATA DH, install into external USB case, restore image that way.

Tried everything.

Why is this?

Also, restored image only filled 180Gb of 250Gb HD, used to 'automatically' use the whole HD, what changed, how to automate the restore to use the full capacity of the HD?

2. guruuno

Anyone?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello guruuno,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe the actions you have takes in more details? And what is the exact issue you have experience?

Please try booting from Acronis True Image Bootable CD with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Could you please clarify if you used Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image or you used Recovery Wizard to restore the image archive?

Note that during both these operations you can resize the partitions, if needed. Please check chapter 7.3.8 "Changing the restored partition size and location" for the restore process and chapter 13.3.8 "Selecting partition transfer method" for cloning. Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide can be downloaded here.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. guruuno

Oh boy, here we go...
    EXACT PROCESS.

Boot from Acronis CD on a Dell E521, after splash screen, black screen, nothing, bottom line.

I have successfully before did a E521, no issues, now, issues (as stated above).

Had to pull drive to use Acronis to restore an image.

Process was, restore image, using default settings.
    NEVER before did I EVER have to specify to use 'extra' HD space fully.
    If I restore a 80GB HD image to a 250GB HD, I shouldn't have a 80GB partition with another 170GB unused partation, never happened before......why now.

Your link in the reply this is referencing ("Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide can be downloaded here.") is: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

Please note: You reference HOME products in the link, NOT Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, so the manual you reference is not available to be read because of the incorrect link.

5. Acronis Support

Hello guruuno,

I am very sorry for incorrect link to the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide. You can find the User's Guide for Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation here.

Since as I understood you were able to boot the computer using Acronis True Image Bootable CD previously. Thus, a possible reason could the corrupted disc. Could you please try to create a new Bootable CD and see if the issue persists?

If the issue persists, then please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Aleksandr Isakov. Attach the link to this thread along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, serial number, where did you purchase our product, etc.). We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. guruuno

I tried doing a 2nd bootable disc, no difference.

7. LandyRover

LandyRover Registered Member

Hi all.

I have just started with Acronis Home v10 build 4,942.I have a new Seagate SAT2 250 GB HDD sitting on a new Intel MB with a new Intel chip and 2 GB of memory. The drive was partitioned into two 35 GB Primaries (one as my NTFS C: drive for Windows and one 35 GB unallocated - will be for my Ubuntu Linux dual boot) with the remainder as an extended partition that contained 2 x 32 GB logical partitions (formatted FAT 32). This left 98.9 GB unallocated in the remaining part of the extended partition for later use as further logical partitions.

Windows XP pro and all the updates, and Acronis was installed on the C: drive, a bootable CD was created then a full backup of C; was made, split into 650 MB chunks and stored on one of the FAT 32 partitions.

Crash test time.

The restore went well. No problems I thought, until I returned to my disk partitioning. I found that the restoration had reduced the size of the extended partition to that of the two logical drives. The remaining 98.8 GB, while still marked as unallocated had changed so that I was only able to use it as a primary. Not at all what I wanted.

This seems to be another manifestation of the problems in this thread. Can anyone explain why this was please, and more importantly, how to undo the change?

8. Acronis Support

Hello LandyRover,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create a screenshot of Windows Disk Management window.

Please clarify, have you backed up and restored the whole drive? Or only some partitions? Did you perform the restore operation from Windows or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media? What options did you choose at each step of Recovery Wizard?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.