Deleting partitions and resizing

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Lauchlan Mackinnon, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

Hi

I have 4 partitions

- W2K pro (main partition)
    - W2K server
    - WinXP
    - Linux

I want to delete the last two, make the W2K pro one twice its current size, resize the W2K server one to say 5 or 10GB instead of 20 GB, and create a new 'Data' partition with no OS on it.

It's not clear what to do though . . .

I have several main questions.

1). Deleting the Linux partition

The Linux partition is F:\, and when i created this partition I made it 20GB in size.

However, in the Acronis program, I see the 20GB F:\ partition as F:\ (5.9GB), and also see two additional EXT3 partitions, and a 'Linux swap' partition.

Should I delete these all individually and in any particular order, or should just deleting F:\ do the trick?

2.) I have a C:\ and D:\ partition. One of these is W2K server and the other is Win XP. Now this may sound like a silly question but . . . how do I determine which is which? <g>

3). C:\ has the 'pri' and 'act' flags. I think it was the initial bootable partition (and probably was the W2K server one)

Should I do anything to take this into account in deleting this partition?

4). After deleting these two partitions, what is the best approach for creating the new data partition and resizing? Do I create the new partition first, and then just resize everything else up or down till each partition has the size I want?

I assume I should make an image of the whole drive, not just the E:\ partition I want to keep, before doing this repartitioning?

Thanks!

Lauchlan Mackinnon

2. Lauchlan Mackinnon

This is just an additional post to add email notification - I forgot to add it with the first post.

Please reply to this one to make sure I get the email notification!

Thanks

Lauchlan Mackinnon

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lauchlan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

I would recommend that you label all the partitions on your hard drive, this will eliminate any ambiguity in partition recognition.

If you are still unsure what partitions you need to delete could you please gather the following information to let me give you the appropriate advice:

1. Please launch Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0, maximize its main window and make a screenshot of it;
    2. Right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage" -> "Disk Management". Maximize this window and make a screenshot of it as well;
    3. Create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post.

Please send the screenshots and the report to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread indicating that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Done.

Thanks,

Lauchlan Mackinnon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.