Deleting index.dat in XP

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by KevinD, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinD

KevinD Guest

Hello

Does anyone know how to delete index.dat files in WinXP?

In ME I used to use the delindex batch file but I don't think it works in XP.

Thanks

Kevin

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

There are tools to handle automating the deletion of index.dat files on XP such as Javacool's MRU Blaster (see this page), however, the key to doing it manually without any extra software is to log into a second user account...

On my XP system, I run from a primary user account called "whatever". I can not, from that account, delete any of its index.dat files. But, I created a second user account called "cleaner" and I log on to that every week or so... From there I can simply use Windows Explorer to navigate into the c:\Documents...\" folders under the "whatever" account, and see and delete all the index.dat files I want.

So, you can take a couple different approaches to handling this problem. :)

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

If you want to delete your History folder manually, you can simply log in as Administrator, and delete that Docs and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\History folder.

That will force Windows to create a brand new one, including a spanking new index.dat file on reboot.

As for the Temporary Internet Files folder, have a look here:

How to safely delete the History and Temporary Internet Files folders

4. rozwell

rozwell Registered Member

I just open the file with notepad, delete everything and then save the file. It isn't elegant but, it works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.