deleting files in the image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by naap, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naap

naap Registered Member

hi all. i created an image with TI 11 and wanted to delete some big files in it. so i mounted it and deleted it. but i found that in the image folder Ti has created another image(very small)what is it?. the when i remounted the same image i found that the files i had deleted before, where still there and the dimension of the image wasn't decreased... what did i do wrong?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You didn't go wrong. When TI deletes files in an image it does not modify the original image but rather creates an incremental backup reflecting the deletions. This is the new small file you found. If you mounted the incremental you should see the deletion effect.

Although you may have wanted to shrink the size of the full backup this method is a lot safer since the original archive is not modified. It may not be very easy to do such mods on the original archive given how TI backs up at the sector rather than the file system level.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

You could probably do another full backup, with excludes for those files.

4. naap

naap Registered Member

yes, but deleting at all the files would be faster.... i have also an off topic request(but not so off): i want to exclude this files from total backup, is there a program that can create, not a true archive,but a folder-like file?
    in other words, is there a program that creates archives without compriming them so is like putting them in a folder (so without waiting 2 weeks for the creation of archives with big files)?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software

We'd like to inform you that using Acronis True Image 11 you can now specify the files that you don't want to include in the archive. This statement is also true for partition/disk images. Additional information can be found in sections 5.2.1 and 5.2.2 of Acronis True Image 11 User Guide

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.