Deleted / Reinstalled MBR, Massive memory relief & HD speed improvement

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ravenise, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ravenise

ravenise Registered Member

Wiping free space on HDD is a good idea once and a while as well for malware. SSDs trim ensures no hidden malware can last for long in free space. Not sure if I was infected with a virus or not; but my god what an improvement I have witnessed after deleting the mbr. It was a grub partition. I was taking extreme measures to protect windows 7 system. After accidentally corrupting my MBR, I repaired it multiple times by various means; I had another bootable parition on the same drive I was using to test YUMI bootable installers that Paragon & PartitionManager were prioritizing over the windows installation; I was booting windows on my primary drive from a MBR on a secondary drive to allow YUMI to boot on my Primary drive. Windows 7 SP1 DVD startup repair worked, and the loading speeds improved for all software dramatically, my ram usage went down drastically. I had tried to ensure the security of my system with utmost care and extreme measures. I suspect there may have been some hidden malware.

Replacing the MBR every once and a while just to be sure is not a bad idea!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. ravenise

The only suspicious activity I can find on the entire system was a regular file integrity violation of c:\windows\Syswow64\comsvcs.dll changing by one byte, and back again at random intervals. Sfc would detect this and often say the files in the store were also corrupted. Then two minutes later you could scan and the violation was gone, the file hash changed back to normal. This went on for months and continues after replacing the mbr.

3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

It might be an offset problem. Check partioning software or crystal disk

4. ravenise

@trott3r, an offset problem, what kind of scan is this?

Just fyi, after a dist-upgrade to windows 10, I have the exact same problem, this time with a different file. What do you think of that?

CBS.log:2019-01-24 23:22:02, Info CBS The store corruption status report is incomplete. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
    CBS.log:2019-01-24 23:32:25, Info CSI 00003ad1 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\\hhctrl.ocx; source file in store is also corrupted
    CBS.log:2019-01-24 23:34:05, Info CSI 00004aaf [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\\hhctrl.ocx; source file in store is also corrupted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.