Deleted files

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Logan5, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

Hope this is the right spot for this.

A question on permanently deleting files. I normally empty the recycle bin using Eraser. I also will delete files directly (no recycle bin) either using Eraser or the secure delete function of CryptoSuite.

I run the TuneUp Utilities Undelete program and it found like 20,000 files that had been deleted. I ran CryptoSuites "Secure clean free space on drive C:" last night hoping that would delete all the files that the TuneUp Utilities Undelete program found. It did not. The files TuneUp found are from various locations including some I do not ever recall deleting from (see screen shot).

How do I permanently delete all these files this or any other such program can find? I know Eraser has a "erase unused space" function but not sure if that will do what I am looking for. Anyone know of a program that will do the job?

Thanks
    Logan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2005
  2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Logan,

Am I missing something ?

I thought Tune Up had a Shredder as well as the Undeleter ?

Regards.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

It does.

4. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

Yes it does but I want to permanently delete files that have ALREADY been deleted. If you look at my attachment you will see that I used TuneUp to search for "deleted files". You cannot use its Shredder feature to delete already deleted but still recoverable files. So that is why I am looking for something to do this.

Thanks
    Logan

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  5. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

It was an interesting question Logan, I did not realise that one could not

shred previously deleted files - that they must be shredded from the get go,

or are recoverable.

I took a look at Tune-Up's FAQ and apparently the only chance to do what

you are wanting is via Defragging the hard disk - probably more often than

you otherwise would. That action will spread the file\s fragments asunder,

kind of like shrapnel I guess - not perfect, but you would need someone with

a few forensic science degrees, plus the time and inclination of course,to

recover such.

I do Defrag. very often so I decided to try restoring deleted files to see if they were readable - there were a couple of million - yesterday's and today's
    deletions were ok but the rest were #^&@$*!>$ good luck forensics !

Regards.

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Logan,

In the meantime at www.Snapfiles.com

if you wanted to hit Search for East-Tec Eraser 2005 - but read the one

review - it seems the 2004 edition was superior - it's available at

www.pcworld.com.

At Snap's you could also see Mutilate File Wiper, both offer to do exactly

what you require but both cost bullion - the first mentioned does kind of

look like it means business but in light of Tune-Up's FAQ explanation I would

consider the 'trials' just in case the road leads to tribulations via being

shredless and bullionless.

Regards.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Logan5

Are you using Norton's AV along with it's Protected Recycle Bin [or some name like that, I do not use Norton but read about similar problems and that the norton Bin has been the cause of quite a lot] by any chance.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

TheQuest / MICRO

Thanks fore the reply,

I was at one time using Norton (system works- SW) and it's had it's Protected Recycle Bin function turned on for a short time while I used SW.
    But once I upgraded to XP SW would not work and caused a ton of problems on my PC (I think it was SW 2000 or 2003).

MICRO - I will look at the two links you sent and try the one PC World mentioned. See how it works. And yes I always knew deleted files were recoverable. That is why I use Eraser or CryptoSuite (trial version at the moment) and do use them to delete most files. But running TuneUp I saw files that had been deleted that I myself never deleted.

Again thanks,

Logan

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

System Mechanic Pro has a find deleted files tool that finds and can terminate all found deleted files.I think the files still remain on your disk,only the reference to them has been deleted.

Another utility within SMPro is system shield which has two modes.One does the same as the find deleted utility and the completely remove all traces mode overwrites all deleted files and freespace,takes a while to run though.

There is a thirty day trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.