Delayed Write Failed

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Dark Star 72, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Since using RVS 2010 Home Lux I have several times had a pop-up from a yellow triangle in the sys tray with the same text as my attached copy from the sys tools event viewer. I have several items that I have copied and pasted for printing and several photos downloaded but not intended to be saved, is that the reason for the pop-up?
    I am using XP Home SP3. This has happened with several different security software setups.
    Is this a problem or something that can be ignored?

Attached Files:

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

What size is your cache?

3. Dark Star 72

Sorry to be so ignorant :oops: but how do I find the cache size you need the info for?

4. Coldmoon

Preferences > System Safe tab. Check the slider for the maximum percentage of free space allowed for the cache. The default is 50%.

Ex: If I have a 200 GB C:\ drive with 18 GB being used already (Windows, programs, etc) and the slider set at 50%, then the cache would be able to grow to ((200 - 18 ))/2 = 91 GB

When this space is full, Windows may react with write delay errors as it thinks it is out of room. If this is the case, restart the system to reset the cache and then make the cache maximum larger.

Mike

5. Dark Star 72

Mike, I have a 114GB available HDD C:\ drive with 14 GB being used by Windows and programs which gives me a grow to figure of 53GB. The C:\ drive is at present showing Used space - 63.5 GB and Free space - 50.9 GB.
    The Returnil cache setting is at the default 50%.
    To what % size would you recommend setting the slider or do I not really have a large enough capacity drive.

6. Coldmoon

That should be enough for normal use (no large media files being edited for example). Please send the following files to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com so the team can investigate this report in greater detail.

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log
    * MSINFO32 report**

**Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Please reference this thread URL in your e-mail with the logs.

Thanks
    Mike

7. Dark Star 72

Mike,
    Sent off the files as requested late last night, however cannot find
    C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log.

8. Coldmoon

Hi,
    We have the files and they have been sent to the team for review. After looking at your reply above more closely, your actual cache is 25.45 GB maximum based on the following:

This should still be sufficient for most things as long as it is at least twice your total RAM. I will get back to you as soon as I get more information from the team.

Mike

9. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I get that "delayed write" message a lot on my XP computer when I am downloading.. It never use to happen before. But now on my Vista 64 bit, it never happens. It works better on the vista 64 bit now than it does on my XP comp. It's running smooth as silk. I am soooo happy. It does slow some processes down a little here and there but not enough to matter.

10. Dark Star 72

Mike,
    Have you had an update on this, I have not heard back from Support at all.
    I am sure I had an e-mail back from support the same day to confirm receipt of the logs but must have deleted it, had been hoping it may have had a support number to help with follow up.

11. Coldmoon

Hi Dark Star 72,
    All the submitted logs have gone towards helping the team identify root causes and your information should be part of the rollup we are currently testing internally. Look for a new build either this week or next.

Mike

12. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I am still getting the delayed write error on the new Returnil version (3.17.7414.5023)

13. Dark Star 72

Mike,
    I am still getting this delayed write problem using the latest Home Lux release on XP Home SP3.
    A couple of questions:

1) As I am not trying to save any thing does is this pop-up of any real significance - is it something I can ignore or does it have wider implications?

2) This failed delayed write error is to Z:\WINDOWS - I do not have a Z:\ drive at all. But I have one of my portable hard drives that I use for storing my back ups as drive 'Z', could this be causing any problems?

14. Coldmoon

What size is your cache?

15. Dark Star 72

Mike,
    Soon after that delayed write with Returnil protection still on the C:\ drive (no partitions) was showing 62.4GB used and 52Gb free.
    Rebooted out of protected state and the C:\ drive is now showing 11.7GB used and 102Gb free.
    The Returnil Cache size is the default 50%. See my post #5 above, the figures are much the same there.
    I have had Returnil on for over 24 hrs with the Virus Guard 'Real Time Protection' and 'Automatic' Updates turned off without a delayed write pop-up but soon after turning the Virus Guard and Updates back on I got the delayed write pop-up shortly after an update. Is this of any significance?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  16. Coldmoon

It may or may not be. I have flagged this to the team and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Mike

17. Dark Star 72

Mike,
    I have now created a virtual disk and changed the drive letter to 'X'. Will not be using the virtual disk but will keep the Virus protection 'On' and keep 'System Safe' enabled as much as possible and see what happens. Will post back.

18. Dark Star 72

I have been running Returnil for 3 days now since I created the virtual disk and changed the drive letter to 'X' and have not had a repeat of the delayed write error so it looks as though that has solved the problem :thumb:

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I just received the error message,
    "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

I am also getting this error message:
    "Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file Z:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx\My Documents\ChessBase\Bases\fritz8.cbt. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
    Fritz8 is a chess program.

The size of file I am trying to save is 4.39kb.The size of my cache is 50%.
    Total space 148GB, 77.1GB used, 71.8GB Free.

I sent files to support. Could not find file C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log. I am running Lux Version 3.1.8774.5254-REL.
    Windows XP Pro/SP3.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

A temporary workaround appears to be deleting and recreating file list with file manager.

21. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

No response from tech support.
    No response from Coldmoon.

22. Coldmoon

You should have gotten a reply to your support message yesterday. Please check your e-mail filters

Mike

23. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Yes, thanks. Except for this problem, program running flawlessly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.