Defragmetation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rugmankc, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugmankc

rugmankc Registered Member

1. What are the pros and cons of defragmenting on my laptop as it relates to Acronis and Secure Zone, which is on my laptops C: drive. My computer specs are in my signature below.

2. Have heard Vista automatically does it. I don't do a lot of installs and uninstalls. I think if I select defrag it will allow me to check only areas I want to defrag. Am not sure if I can uncheck SZ and my recovery partition.

3. Also, I can't disable AVG, I tried with help from their forum, no luck.

4. If I boot in the safe mode will that disable AVG and everything else I need to have off to defragment, including screensaver? With SZ taking up 60GB of my 200GB, I have 25GB out of 93GB used on C: drive. There is also a 7GB recovery partition.

5. How long should defrag take on my system?

6. Since it is not a "busy" computer, maybe I don't need to worry about. Seems to run fine.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Normal Windows processes cannot see the Secure Zone so the defragger will leave it alone. In any case the zone does not need defragging. I have used mine for years and it maintains itself on the FIFO basis. Just make sure that you feed it with at least two full images or you will eventually get a zone full warning.

AFAIK the recovery partition will also be hidden from the defragger.

If you mean the simple AVG anti-virus application there is no need to disable it for a defrag. The normal way to turn it off should some other need arise is to right click the the task bar icon and select to quit the control center.

No need to defrag in safe mode.

Run a defrag and time it. Then run it again and it will take a very short time.

I always run a disk clean up before running a defrag.

Xpilot

3. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Just wondering:
    What's the use of running defrag two times on a row?

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It was just suggested to show that a defrag when not run for a while can take quite a long time. Compared to running one after a recent defrag.
    Just out of interest a second defrag can sometimes clear up some more that was missed by the first pass. My own view is that normally once is enough.( defrags that is !)

Xpilot

5. rugmankc

Thanks Xpilot,

I may reduce the size of SZ. I have an external usb drive with an image also. Don't need more than one in SZ.

I kind of thought defrag would not mess with SZ or the recovery partition.

I did right click on the icon after trying to disable AVG's resident shield which did not work. But, it sounded like if I clicked off the control center you could not turn it back on again. Guess I could always reinstall.

The reason I asked about turning off the anti-virus, is that I read on several sites that the defrag would stall if it was left on.

Ken

6. rugmankc

Xpilot,

RESOLVED:

I did the defrag with AVG on and screen saver activated. Took two hours. No problem. Vista on my Vaio does defrags periodically. Further research says I could even use computer during defrag. Not sure I would try that. But, if it is defragmenting while I use it, I guess no problem. Although, I thought I read awhile back that it defrags while computer is idle.

One final question. If I shrink my SZ partition size, should I degrag before or after? Does it even matter?

Thanks for the help, I didn't want to try this without some feedback from Acronis users.

Ken

7. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Try defgragging while in safe mode it is usually much quicker.

As for the question of multiple defrags it makes for a tight ready-for-imaging preparation to reduce any chances of corruption, especially when imaging to a DVD.

It also allows for a single unbroken file of 4 gigs (and slightly more), I think this contributes to an uncorrupted DVD.

8. rugmankc

Thanks cortez,

I have an external usb drive for imaging. Haven't ever defragged myself, but as I said, Vista does it periodically while computer is idle. I think. :doubt: I'll try it in a month and see the time, and try safe mode also.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.