Defrag your security software

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dcdc, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

This was a good tip in PC World, Mar. 2007: "Open applications don't get defragged, so close them before you begin. Ditto for tools that reside in the system tray."

I had never really thought about this, but it makes sense. I have several applications that I use for active protection and that load at startup, so apparently they have never been defragged after all the updates I have run. I don't know if sweeps will run noticeably faster after defragging them, but it can't hurt.

It's a different story for on-demand applications. Presumably they get defragged every time I run the XP disc defragger.

Of course, you want to make sure you restore/open/reactivate these antimalware apps before you go back on the web.

There are no doubt better defraggers out there that the XP one (the above mentioned article recommends Golden Bow Systems' Vopt 8 ), but I guess the Windows one is good enough for my system, which lacks partitions and so on.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

diskeeper always defrags the kaspersky updates and log files
    lodore

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I defrag in safe mode. :)

4. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Yes, I guess there is something to be said for doing that. I don't bother, but I guess I will start doing so when I finally have a problem and wish I had been more careful. :cautious:

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:thumb: Have been doing it for years after it was suggested to me by one much wiser. I do not think you can get a more complete defrag from any utility while Windows is running in normal mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.