defrag and MFT issue

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by cet, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I defrag my computer once a week but I always see 2 pieces of MFT as seen in the pic.Is there a safe way to make MFT one piece; which I believe also would make my boot up time quicker.

Attached Files:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

although I doubt it will make any noticeable difference try with maybe a trial of Diskeeper or PerfectDisk and once done revert back to Puran. Also did you try to defrag MFT at boot time with Puran?

3. cet

cet Registered Member

I downloaded Perfect Disk trial yesterday and made boot time defrag but nothing changed.I did boot time defrag with Puran too.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Does PD report MFT in 2 places too? Then maybe it can't be changed

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I find Perfect Disk's boot time defrag the most complete of all defragmenters that I've tested - MFT, metadata files, pagefile etc are always in one contiguous piece.

If your MFT is in 2 pieces, you'll not notice an iota of difference performance wise to it being completely defragmented. Just the defrags graphic view of your system will look prettier. :rolleyes:

6. cet

cet Registered Member

Actually according to Perfect Disk the second part is not MFT but it is Metadata.I would like to resize my partition,because of that I would like to move it to the beginning of the disk.Thanks for helping.

Attached Files:

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

cet,

Use a defrag agent that defrags both locked files and normal files at once, like Paragon Total defrag. For me, Total defrag always puts the MFT at the start of the disk and MFT zone is created at the end. MFT zone is just a reserved area in case MFT needs to be expanded.

Also, the last graphic you attached shows the entire last 4 lines on your drive to be MFT zone. Something is not right with your configuration.

8. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

It's not always a good idea to have to MFT at the very beginning of the disk,
    since the HD has to switch between the MFT and actual files constantly, the best place for the MFT is somewhere in the middle of your populated disk area.

9. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It depends on your specific configuration. My drive is split into partitions and the system C: partition is only 45 GB, out of which only 26 GB is currently occupied. My drives max transfer rate is around 80 MB/s and minimum access time is 5 ms. The difference in the transfer rates between the 0-26 GB area of the drive is only 4 MB/s and the difference in the access time is only 3 ms.

So, basically, for my configuration it does not matter whether the MFT is at the immediate start, in the middle, or at the end of the data area of my system partition.

10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Not sure about safe, but Disktrix UltimateDefrag2008 can probably do it (or V3 if it ever comes out). However, it's commercial software and some people have reported problems with its boot-time module.

11. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

This is true. A good defragger should put the folders at the very beginning of the disk and as far as I know only Puran does this. There is really no need to touch MFT unless it is fragmented which Puran takes care of it in boot time defragmentation.

12. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

IOBit SmartDefrag also places dir at the beginning of the partition. It's why I have trouble chosing between Iobit & Puran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.