defrag and disk checker?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mattyl, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattyl

mattyl Registered Member

I was wondering if there were any worth-while defrag and/or disk checking programs out there, other than the windows options, that would work well for Win98... I'm running the defrag now but it's so damn slow I'm going to have to run it over night... thanks for any ideas!

mattyl

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Try Diskeeper, it's an excellent disk defragmenter. And it takes only minutes to defrag your hard disk.

its at this link: www.execsoft.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

http://www.wilders.org/downloads.htm replacement for the standard DEFRAG in Win95/98. Increases speed dramaticly.
    You also mentioned that you were running your defrag "now" Did that mean as you were using your pc and posting and surfing the web etc at the same time , as it is maybe better to do a complete scan disk and defrag at a time when you are not using your pc ( Im on win98 . I do a disk cleanup and a scan disk (standard) and defrag weekly and it only takes a short time but keeps it nice and tidy . If I am downloading or removing a programme i also do a disk clean up and scan disk( thorough) and defrag so that the new software has every opportunity to work well and play well before i load it up .
    Diskeeper can work alright for some as nadirah suggested > i have used
    both diskeeper lite and diskeeper but found I was not able to get it to flow well on my win 98 . however someone else on a win 98 may chime in and say it works fine lol .

4. mattyl

mattyl Registered Member

thanks a lot solarpowered candle and nadirah! I'll take a look at those programs...

solarpowered candle - I was running the defrag alone and using a different computer for the internet and to post so it was the only program running. Thanks for the advice!

Anyone have a "disk scan" program that may be worth checking out or stick with the windows option? Thanks again guys!!

mattyl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.