Defensewall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by waters, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

use the rollback feature or just leave it in there for ever as ii is criple malware:) dont worry about it will not hurt you at all

2. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I am a novice user of DW since beta days. From very first day Ilya has recommended I use an AV to complement DW and keep some track on eventual malware in the sandbox so that they dont spread to my friends, but for those malware that cannot yet be protected from by mainly signature based AVs - I depend on DW to protect me when Antivir cannot.

I have never heard Ilya claim anything else when it comes to what role DW should play in the defense for an ordinary user. Thats straight forward - why complicate it - there are plenty of good free AVs around.

As soon as DW v3 public beta is out - Ill install it - no doubt.

To my limited knowledge Sandboxie is another concept than DW and doesnt suite me and my way of using my PC. Same goes for Shadow-whatever virtualisation-defense. I have tried two or three.

Best Regards

3. waters

waters Registered Member

Whats the most damage that can be done using the rollback feature

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

You can erase an important file.

5. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

you can let the caged malware get out

6. waters

waters Registered Member

I meant by delete all.Would you just end up with how thing were when defensewall was first installed.

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Same with me. I may try other programs but Defensewall is always running on my system. And if some other security app I am trying don't get along with Defensewall.....Defensewall stays and the other app goes.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

files that you download from your untrusted applications

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you empty/delete the rollback everything you download from untrusted aplications it is back to a clean state

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes,like when i test malware my rollback is empty then i install let's say 25 malware samples and i see bunch of stuff %&^(* like that then i go to my rollback list and delete all every thing all files that i install/download/saved files,reg keys,etc etc will be gone with the wind and will bring my pc back to normal exatly same as it was before installing all this malware:) ;) got to love it

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

an untrusted file yes but not the trusted files;) so real system is safe:)

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

It also has a rollback to feature, which to me is unique, in that you can rollback to a given time listed in the files and registry tracks.

You can see the date and time in the list, and decide, I'll clear 'untrusted' system changes and rollback to say 'Wednesay, at 2pm before I opened XYZ'.

Not sure if other programs have this, either way, works well.

13. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

You sure about this? To my mind by rolling back a file or registry track associated with malware you would simply be completely erasing that particular malware file or registry track from the entire system not letting it out in anyway. The only danger from my perspective is an Ilya said you might actually delete an important file. For example you download an important word document via an untrusted browser, the document in question would also be untrusted. If you then went in and were not careful about using the rollback function you might delete that document from the real system. Atleast this was how I thought it worked. Can someone please shed some light on this issue?

Also can DW PF work in tandem with a software firewall?

Thanks!

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

defensewall personal firewall likes other firewalls i tried: outpost comodo,OA,privacy firewall:)

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Be prepared for 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thsi is the only reason I have Avast beta 5 on my wife's machine (only e-mail and file shield)

17. waters

waters Registered Member

Rollback feature deletes all utorrent setup.How would i exclude the download folder and application data settings for utorrent.With sandboxie its easy i just exclude and force downloads to run sandboxed

18. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

For my friends that are even more novice than I am - they might have some software that I helped them install as trusted under DW. If these software update automatically as trusted its all OK and a nobrainer for novice users, but when these software need to start IE - which will automatically be untrusted under DW - to download and install the update file - than some of my friend loose the concept and consider DW too complicated for them. I dont know what Ilya can do about that and still keep DW as safe as it is?

Maybe a function where I can set that if this particular trusted software starts IE to got to this particular site - to download - then IE should be considered trusted by DW?

If that was possible in DW I know a couple of friends I would recommend buying DW. Its a balance between the strong protection and the functionality that some novice users need.

Dont know if I made myself clear here :cool: ? A while back I was not focused and tried to install a new version of Antivir - that I downloaded as untrusted -by just saving and doubleclicking - the amount of processes grew in the sandbox - and I didnt see it happen - and the installation failed. I manage to fix/correct that, but my more novice friends just say - take it off - i dont want it.

Not really critisicm - just trying to contribute and learn more.

Best Regards

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Yes, V3 contains two improvements about this.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this firewall is cool it doesnt hit you with so many pop ups like other firewalls;) this is what i wanted from long time:D

21. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

How good is the network protection in DW PF? Does the firewall have TCP header inspection? Thanks.

22. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Any software fw can be configured to reduce or even eliminate pop-ups. It's not ground-breaking technology.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the thing is that some firewalls forget the rules and they attack me with pop ups that i already made a rule for and it forgot to remember that particular rule and kill me with bunch of pop ups:D

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Then it's a bug in the fw or a user mistake ;) not saying you made a mistake, but it's a common problem with people trying to set up fw rules correctly, especially when they make them overly granular.

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

maybe me:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.