DefenseWall V3 versus Comodo Leak Test

Discussion in 'polls' started by Kees1958, Dec 9, 2009.

?

DefenseWall and File Drop test of Comodo

Poll closed Dec 19, 2009.
  1. I would like to see DW score 340 out of 340 for ease of mind

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. It is irrelevant, so leave it as it is (fail against file drop)

22 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. It is irrelevant, but marketing wise, it is smarter to provide an optio to pass this test

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Members,

DefenseWall does not protect against file drops in the Comodo Leak Test, see Jmaonge's thread, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1587843&postcount=19

Because it does not matter with the total untrusted file protection of DW, Ilya has chosen not to forbid this kind of actions (It is only the dropper).

I would like to ask fellow Wilders members, since many people interpretate this as a fail (again, while it is of no relevance with the kind of protection DW provides), so please vote

2. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

I voted.
    But, i am waiting matousec 84 tests result against comodo's 34 tests.

3. Kees1958

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Irrelevant. Build products to provide security not to pass tests (they are not always the same thing) is what I say.

For this particular one it sums up DW to me. Who cares if it drops a file, that file can't harm your system. If folks don't get that then DW is probably not the product for them.

As for marketing, if people only bought products that scored 340/340 then we would not have the variety and choice we currently enjoy and a lot of big name vendors would be in trouble. But they're not and we have choice so the test can't really be that interesting to the buying public.

Cheers

5. Kees1958

Chris,

Thanks, I was just wondering and therefore the poll.

Some considerations:

1. DW positions itself as "the simplest and easiest way to protect yourself etc ...", due to this positioning, I assume that it is also targeting the security aware, but no expert users

2. From this viewpoint (aware, but no expert), I wonder whether you statement "when they do not get this they should not using DW" also applies on this customer segment.

3. Considering that Wilders Members are a lot more educated on security, this poll has its own bias, so let's wait for the results

Regards Kees

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

It's a fair point. I guess I just think if you use software you should know what it does. I've always thought DW protects you from unwanted actions from potentially malicious applications/files etc. These applications need to be on your system and execute before DW will protect you from their mailicious activities. If you don't want the files on your system or to excute in the first place then some other form of anti-malware product is required most likely signature based and or a more classically styled HIPS.

If you are aware I'm assuming it won't be just DW scores you will look at even if you don't fully understand them. Many applications score much worse than DW so I'm not convinced 'fixing' this would help sales. If DW gets a good Matousec score though the profile will rise regardless of the merit the tests included there deserve. Maybe if any 'fix's' are required he should look there first.

Anyway, hopefully this poll will give Ilya some ideas for future direction to make the product the success he deserves it to be.

Cheers

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Any doubts in it? :D

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it will passed,i hope they tested to prove it;)

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Highly irrelevent. it's like chasing a dream hoping to see 100% pass just to feel good.

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

No single application can stop all malware all the time. Layered defense gives me peace of mind.

11. Kees1958

Well,

There are a few pretty strong combo's to be available:

- DefenseWall HIPS + FW
    - Online Armour + A2
    - KIS off course with HIPS and sandbox
    - CIS4 with sandbox (?) and Time Machine
    - Avast5 Pro with sandbox + behavioral blocker

To mention a few.

But when you want it control it all by ypurself the layered approach is atill a good one.

Regards Kees

12. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Comodo/Defense+ and MSE is also a good combi ;)

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

anything and MSE is a good combo. I really hope that one day Ilya can find a way to 64 bit DW. Even water-downed is still better then most.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.