Defensewall & Untrusted Program Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Defensewall 2.56:

What is the recommended method to update Untrusted Applications?

I just updated Firefox to the latest version. I chose to "Run As Trusted" to do the update. Since Firefox completes the update when Firefox restarts, would it have been better to "Disable" Firefox, complete the Firefox update, and then "Enable" Firefox (Enable/Disable options under Untrusted Applications)?

Thanks in Advance.

2. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

when u want to make update an untrusted softwarefor example FF disable DW protection then update firefox,after update enable DW protection

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Everyone should favour his/her browser, but with FF it gives problems

So here is my trick only for FireFox users

A) Set Firefox as the browser for go Banking/Go Shopping
    B) Run browser untrusted in Go banking

When you want to update FF, just choose Go Banking. All other untrusted processes will be killed, plus some additional measures to ensure a clean start of the trusted browser. Misusing Go-Banking is your best bet for not getting something on your rig, which piggy backs on the FF update.

Alternatively you can use portable FF (which like Chrome/Iron does not give any problems).

Another possibility is to ASK Ilya for a solution (a special problematic browser update), which removes the "Not allowed to be changed by Untrusted" temporarely from FF directories (it is allready possible, but I have not asked ILya, since most of you know my opinion on FF and I guess Ilya won't correct something stupid by design, when the solution chosen was not nessecary at the first place*)

*) Okay flash (remember it is a shared service application) is far worse on the "Stupid by design" scale, by updating in the system/admin space for normal operations

Regards

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thanks everyone.

What do I do with the "File and Registry Tracks"? If I recognize the program as being OK do I just "Allow" the entry? Or is it safest to just "ignore" the "File and Registry Tracks" list and let it build up?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

The solution is near. I know how to make FF to be updated with no problems right from the untrusted mode, but will implement this trick only with the 3.xx version of DefenseWall as I have to release .00 version ASAP.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes, leave it is the way to go

Only use it after intrusions. Set the autoclean option in advanced options

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.