DefenseWall questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I have finally installed the trial version of DefenseWall. Here are some questions:

1) It is recommended that I install DW on a clean system. What if the system isnt clean? What is the downside of this?

2) Will DW conflict with WinPatrol?

3) Can I add other programs to untrusted such as msn, office, adobe, etc? This should provide me with extra protection right?

4) Anything else a newbie ought to know?

5) Can I add Sbie as untrusted?

2. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Yes, it is.

I had no reports about such the conflict.

Office and Adobe programs should be out of untrusted list, DefenseWall do control their rights according files they opens. I have no idea what do you mean with "MSN" term, but MSN Messenger should be already set as untrusted according built-in untrusted apps list.

Install known as good software installers as untrusted. Put your browsers, e-mail, IM, IRC, P2P and multimedia clients as untrusted if they are already not within the list. That's all.

No, you don't have to.

3. Dregg Heda

1) By clean do you mean uninfected? Or do you mean before any other apps have been added? Because my system already has several apps including security apps added. How will this affect DW's performance?

2) But wouldn't there be a conflict since WinPatrol also offers light registry protection?

3) Yes I meant messenger. For some reason it isn't in the built in list. At the bottom of the untrusted list theres something called ChkAcc.bak could that have something to do with it?

4) What do you mean by multimedia clients? CDs? DVDs? That sort of thing? Or are you talking about media players like quick time, etc?

5) Then how do I ensure that the sandboxed web browser is untrusted? Currently when I run firefox sandboxed, DW tells me that there are not untrusted apps running.

PS: Thanks for your help Ilya!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i used to run winpatrol with defensewall with no problems what so ever:thumb:

5. Dregg Heda

So it shouldn't be a problem then jmonge!

Heres another question, when I closed my firefox window DW had a pop-up telling me that all the clipboard information was saved by firefox or something to that effect, is this natural? And then before I could do anything the pop-up disappeared! Was it just informing me of a natural action or was there some sort of malicious attack going on?

6. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

if you have selected on firefox exit and save last session when u close it,it just saved your urls which is normal.

7. Dregg Heda

Ahhh that makes sense, thanks Chris!

8. unnamed

unnamed Registered Member

i have a question regarding defensewall as well

if i execute a dangerous .exe file,
    • will defensewall automatically prevent any modifications to the operating system and registry?

or

• such modifications will not be prevented, but these modifications will have to be undone by using the rollback feature. and i understand that this rollback feature is only for experts and i'm certainly not an expert, in this case defensewall will not be the right choice for me

9. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

-if you set the .exe as untrusted (will be auto set if it came from a browser,im client,email client e.t.c) and yes it will prevent harmful modifications.
    -if you do the above there is no need to use the rollback feature.DWis absolutely perfect for either begginers or advanced users

10. unnamed

unnamed Registered Member

thanks.

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Uninfected means "if you already have any malicious code at your computer, DefenseWall won't be able to protect you against it".

No conflict at ll if WP running trusted.

That's strange. What's your MSN Messenger version? As about .bak file- it shouldn't be there, I need send you a build with debug output in order to trace it out.

Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Foobar, Winamp, ...

Simple- check your browser's status. If you don't see FF as untrusted, but it's within your "Untrusted applications" list- that's a kind of conflict here. Do you have Vista and Online Armor installed on?

12. Ilya Rabinovich

Aha, this case FF is running untrusted! As about this concrete case- it's simple, FF close all windows and then checks clipboard data. Yes, this happens and it's normal.

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Registry- not all of them, but the ones that may cause problems. There is no reason to block IE windows settings, for instance, that modifications are not malicious.

14. Dregg Heda

1) I'm using Live Messenger 2008 build 8.5.1302.1018.

2) FF is in my untrusted applications list and runs as untrusted when I run it unsandboxed. When I run it sandboxed it isn't untrusted. You should know that I also have FF runsafered when its sandboxed and unsandboxed although I dont see the borders when I run it sandboxed. Windows Live is Runsafered as well. I have OA free v3.0.0.190 and Vista. Im not sure what the Vista version is. Im new to it and still dont know the layout well.

15. Dregg Heda

I was also wondering in the help files you suggest that the option for DW to periodically check the built-in list and add them to untrusted should be ticked, yet this is not the default option. Why is that?

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

That will be your issue with FF not showing as untrusted. There are a number of fairly recent discusions here ( one started by you I think) and on Gladiator about an OA on Vista conflict with DW.

I understand Mike Nash has contacted Ilya about why the conflict occurs.

Cheers

17. Ilya Rabinovich

There are some possible issues about setup process.

18. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi Dregg this is a problem I had and with that combo of SBIE,DW,and OA when I removed OA the problem was solved when I uninstalled OA.I have SBIE and DW together MY browsers are untrusted with or with out SBIE and the boarder is there as well.I would suggest remove OA then see How it works.

19. Dregg Heda

Hi Chris!

I was led to believe that the problem was only with OA paid and OA free worked fine on Vista with DW.

20. Dregg Heda

So I shouldn't have any problems enabling it now right?

21. Dregg Heda

Hi john! Were you using OA free or paid?

Whatever the case you are probably right, but I really like OA as it has some nifty features that other free firewalls don't. I'd rather just give up on sbie. Im not its biggest fan. You can only make good use of it if you've paid for it, and I dont really want to. Thanks for your help though! It seems that you've uncovered some sort of conflict between those 3 products!

22. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Take at look here (See post #20) It looks like any conflict between DefenseWall and OA has been resolved.

23. Dregg Heda

Good point ffree!

I had already seen that but I assumed that Ilya meant they were working on any problems and there was nothing left to discuss! Now that I think about it perhaps he meant that they had solved all problems! That was quick tho!

Whatever the case this problem seems to be something to do with OA, Sbie AND DW so it might be separate to conflicts just involving OA and DW.

24. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

OA Free,Believe me I very much like OA as well But Sandboxie and DW together seems more then enough for protection and So light its like having Nothing but there just silently protecting.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree buddy:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.