DefenseWall Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

The program is great and the support is better. Pay for it and the nag goes away.Ilya has been constantly improving DW and he deserves the support$.

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

hey Ilya
    LOL that helps, when will it make coffee?
    V3?

:D

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I guess DefenseWall has a secret technology, than can't be revealed in public to avoid any cloning of the software.
    As a total underdeveloped newbie, I did a few not-malware-related tests and it worked each time.
    It's the most quiet software, I ever had on my computer. I'm glad it has an icon otherwise I would forget it. :)

P.S.: Anti-Executable was the most hidden and self-protecting software, I ever had on my computer, even its icon can be hidden. Most security softwares are an open book for the bad guys, no wonder infections can disable them. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

ErikAlbert, I think GeSWall is not too different from DefenseWall, the concepts are similar, maybe one's a bit prettier and a bit heavier and a bit more expensive but its no secret :p

Ilya I wasn't aware about the ActiveX thing so anyone who read my earlier post its obviously partially incorrect :p But I don't use IE except for updates, and I think alot of people at Wilders are similar in not using IE.

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

That is exact definition.

Any software can be cloned. The only problem with it- you have to be a real kernel mode profy to do that. There are no so many people with such the skills in this world... Also, I always welcome participation as it make this world move forward!

Because they are written by standard corporate programmers who do understand nothing in security.

We all do mistakes, the only important thing- are we ready to admit it and how fast we fix them!

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Ok, I'm trying it again. Lets hope it's third time lucky!

muf

7. Ilya Rabinovich

OK, in case of problems do not hesitate to visit my support forum to get support you need.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are right. That,s why I suggested for it to be there by default with atleast an option to turn it off, if user wishes to do so.

9. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I think this would be a valuable addition.

I had a real problem up grading to Media Player 11 last night. I tied: Disable protection, running both v.10 & v.11 installer in trusted mode and tried removing them from the untrusted list altogethr. DW blocked every attempt. I tried placing them in Secure files/folders. That didn't work either. In the end, I had to uninstall DW for awhile and reinstalled when the download was completed. At a guess I'd say it was the ActiveX issue but I'm not sure. I'd imagine MS use ActiveX objects to install stuff and DW blocked for that reason?

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I probably shouldn't even add my comment as I'm having enough trouble with programs as it it, but, it's been my experience so far that DW doesn't block any ActiveX or anything else for that matter. Nor does it get rid of such controls (which I kind of don't like, I like Sandboxies' approach better). I can see how it may block the download if the browser is running as Untrusted.

Did you by chance check Task Manager and see if defensewall_serv was running? I found this running after I myself had quit out of DefenseWall, it may not have terminated properly and was still in the background blocking things.

11. Riverrun

Ahh...yes, that's probably it. The browser was running as untrusted and it never occurred to me to remove it from the list. Didn't check Task Manager but there's no question about it, DW blocked the install so it must have been active to some degree.

12. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

yes thats normal, if for some reason the GUI is crashed, the protection remains. Its to make it very hard for malware to shutdown DW's protection, but it can get in the way of legitimate uses. But this is a problem for many security programs, I think.

And the browser as untrusted might explain the bad wmp11 install, best to check it out with Ilya.

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

OK trial is up.(can't afford paid at this time) went to uninstall thru windows and it would not uninstall. So I disabled DW thru WinPatrol but still have DW in my right click. Do I need to install again then uninstall ?

14. Ilya Rabinovich

This is strange that uninstall didn't works. Try via Safe Mode- maybe, this will helps. Other case- mail me, I'll see what is wrong there.

15. LoneWolf

Will try safe mode but please refresh my memory,how do I get in safe mode ? been a long time.

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

F8 at the start.:)

17. LoneWolf

OK. Tried safe mode.No good still there.Might have to do a Rollback.Oh well I'll loose some stuff I wanted to keep with the rollback but maybe I can save some with the exclusion option.

18. Ilya Rabinovich

OK, then mail me, I'll send you uninstall program with logging, will try to help you.

19. LoneWolf

Thanks.
    Mail you,where.Address?
    PM ?

20. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Ilya gave this email address out to contact him with issues concerning DefenseWall. support@softsphere.com

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

We have GW and DW on diiferent PC's. For a typical user who downloads paid media files, browses the internet with IE (just because that is teh one they use on her work), searches P2P for other music files, DW does gives no troubles. Ilya has strict criteria of what is a potential threat or not and what should be covered by a policy right based HIPS. Die to the more configurable condifential files protection of GW I had GW temporarely on my wife's PC. The occasional pop-up and the odd configuration addtition needed, made het tell me she wanted the other one back (other being the 'thing' that works, but is silent).

With GW we have stumbled upon things which are easily corrected by changing your configirations after input of the deveolpers of GW. I also feel GW has a slightly broader coverage. My son also thinks GW is a bit faster than DW and has less impact on gaming, so he prefers GW over DW (and firefox over IE).

Discussing preference is a matter of taste, with no clear winner on arguments I think. But then again, which kind of market segment is larger in potential, by numbers I would think the one my wife could be part off, by buying willingness the one my son could be part of.

Regards K

22. Ilya Rabinovich

Problem with WMP11 over WMP10 have been found and fixed. Paulus, thanks a lot! And I'm sorry for troubles this error made.

23. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Geswall does not work with Roboform. I told them about it over a month ago, they responded that they were aware of the problem, but so far no fixes for it. Their forums are not used, 1 message since May. I wonder if they are still in business.

24. Riverrun

Ilya, it was no big deal. I uninstalled DW for awhile, did the upgade and reinstalled. The only other problem I had was with Adobe Reader. I got rid of that and am currently using Foxit instead. No problems and it's only a couple of MB on my HDD compared to 23MB for Adobe. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.