DefenseWall HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Saraceno, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've been using the beta version of DefenseWall over the past couple of days and have to say, this program is rock-solid.

I was hesitant to use the program on the current setup (FortiClient and ThreatFire) but there have been no slowdowns or conflicts/problems at all.

Just a few questions...

Is anyone else using the current version or beta version v2.40 with good results?

Is v2.40 far away from official release?

Further, are there any 'options' or say 'tweaks' users recommend or is it good 'as is' straight out of the box? :)

2. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

It depends on new help file + need to implement registry keys selection dialog. I assume- two or three weeks.

3. Saraceno

Thanks Ilya.

Being able to rollback/delete any of the registry entries created since browsing is a definite plus.

Just a suggestion, I noticed in the 'file and registry tracks' section, before selecting any option you can hover your mouse over the buttons and you can get a description of what the option does.

See images below.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

But when you go to the advanced tab (see image below), and hover your mouse over the option, no description appears. I think the advanced tab could benefit from a short description, especially to increase user-friendliness for numb-skulls like me who do a lot of clicking around. :) Really enjoying your product. :thumb:

3.jpg

4. Ilya Rabinovich

I was concentrating on interfece elements tooltip support that could be misunderstood by users.

5. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

6. CogitoErgoSum

For those who are using DefenseWall,

Please take a look at the link that was provided in the previous post(post #5) and the recommended noted posts as I have listed some tips that may be of interest.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

DefenseWall v 2.4 will make security setups a lot easier. It will have resource protection management (registry, files, processes). This is a form of very strong policy containment. Mind you that DW 2.30 already had total untrusted file control (which made it better than its direct competitors).

After 2.4 version will also have outbound protection, so with DW and an AV (and the default inbound firewall) you settled, thats it, job done, no more lurking around on security forums to find (and test) new threats, better setups.

Regards Kees

8. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Defensewall is already an effective, easy to use security tool. Just don't throw so many bells and whistles into it that it becomes complicated for the average user.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

It will come with a build in list and stays easy out of the box. Ilya is pretty straight forward in keeping DW a ready to use application.

10. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Thats good to hear. The simplicity of Defensewall is one of the main reasons I recommend it to everyone, especially if they can't or don't want to run as a limited user.

11. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Ilya, any word on when a Vista x64 version will be worked on?

12. Ilya Rabinovich

Well, x64 systems are not really wide spreaded. It is not any commercially reasonable to put my effort and money into it. So, it is just a question of not really near future. Half an year at least. Then we shall see- it requires to buy digital signature for a driver (it is quite expensive), change skin engine (current one is 32-bit only), and revise driver and inner protective policies + PatchGuard API support (if MS really implemented it the way I may work with it).

13. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Have been using DefenseWall with Avira Premium really am pleased with this combo and will have to download the beta.

Wake

14. Saraceno

Thanks for your help. You've given some good advice on securing your system. I'll read through the DefenseWall help file and see how I go with making any further changes to the default settings.

Ilya, with regards to the tooltips, there are no tooltips on the 'advanced' section and 'untrusted applications' section. It will be easier for users if tooltips are used throughout all of the interface. :)

You should be commended on this product. I know many people who would benefit from this program. :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  15. Ilya Rabinovich

Thanks, will improve it.

16. CogitoErgoSum

Hello Saraceno,

You are very welcome. Just doing my modest part to help a fellow DefenseWall user.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

17. Ilya Rabinovich

Cogito, my site is temporary down- see my Gmail e-mail and send memory dump of the GPF you had there.

18. CogitoErgoSum

Hello Ilya,

I forwarded the dump file to your alternate email address.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

19. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

20. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

It is down temporary.

21. Fam Money

Fam Money Registered Member

It has just come back online.

22. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Yes it is, I'm going to give this a trial spin along side my AV...:eek: :D

23. CogitoErgoSum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.