Defensewall HIPS, chat programs, and other questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

I was using Defensewall HIPS with chat program "Pidgin" and with logging enabled so that I can always read past chat sessions.

I notice that Pidgin creates a .txt file every time a chat session finishes, and thus creates a new file, which I presume Defensewall keeps within its sandbox (since I am running Pidgin as untrusted).

My question is whether these Pidgin created .txt log files will stay put until I delete them myself, or whether Defensewall will eventually get rid of them and without my knowing? Thanks for any replies.

Another question I have is regarding software updating while using Defensewall HIPS. For example, how do I update Firefox 3.0.6 to 3.0.7 smoothly when Firefox asks to update it automatically? Isn't Firefox untrusted and thus cannot modify the files on the system, and thus cannot update? Would I then have to download 3.0.7 manually myself, and run it as trusted? Seems a little bit of an inconvenience?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
  2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

for your first question about "Pidgin "chat , try clear logs , reproduce the issue and upload the log in DW forum (better there)

for your sec question , the best way to upgrade FF add ons is disable DW protection , make the update and enable DW protection after all updates made

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

1. There is no need to mark .txt files as untrusted as they can't harm.
    2. Run as trusted and update.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Ilya, I would like to install DW, but I have a brief question. If my firewall (Online Armor) has a HIPS feature, can it run side by side with DW without conflicts like the both of them attempting to do basically the same thing at the same time? Thanks in advance. :)

5. Ilya Rabinovich

As I know, there is no conflicts between DW and OA.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Great! Thanks :D

7. Ilya Rabinovich

See my reply at the official support forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.