DefenseWall Firewall & Sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ams963, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I was wondering if I could use both DefenseWall Firewall and Sandboxie?

Will there be any incompatibility? Will the two strengthen security? Or is any one more than enough? How differently do each work from the other?

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

I don't see an incompatibility problem--however, I've never tried this exact combo.

Defensewall is policy HIPS/FW. Sandboxie is virt/policy sandbox. Very similar, but not perfectly alike.

So yes, it would add some additional protection to run both together, but there is a lot of redundancy while leaving certain "session exploits / leakage" open or, more to the point, those that don't trigger a HIPS and SB like non DLL, HDD and executable-based exploits.

IMO---You'd be better off with using a singular policy or virt to protect say a browser at its root processes and, additionally, an add-on like NoScript or native JS, Java, and Flash run edits in Chromium-based browsers.

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

DW and SBIE get along quite well. I have used them for long time together without any problem.

DW applies more comprehensive granular virtualisation for the whole os and all progs. But it cannot erase all remnants of a malware though the malware just cannot function.

SBIE is more specific on the progs you choose. And it can delete the sanbox so no remnants left.

In general DW is comprehensive and you even can use only DW as a security application (without other avs), though SBIE adds additional layer of security and they must work together without problems.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have run both same time in the past a few years ago and I thought is was a dynamic duo of security but later my centrino dual core became a snails pace.You can always try it but you may not be happy with the results or maybe you will.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Amit, you can use them together, I did, with no noticeable problem but I prefer to use SBIE on its own to avoid any unnoticeable conflict. There is a software compatibility setting to make them work better together but you never know whats going on behind. In my opinion, either program is good enough on its own, no need to use them both at the same time.

Both programs are similar in the sense that both separate the changes created by the sandboxed/untrusted applications from the rest of the system. How those changes are handled is were they differ. As you know, with SBIE we delete the sandbox. In DW, the changes remain in your system. They are there but wont do nothing as long as their status remains untrusted.

You know which program I like better but both are pretty good.

Bo

6. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Still no defensewall for 64 bit OS :(

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I've run DW+SB together in the past with no problems at all. (Xp Home)
    Personally I prefer the combo of DefenseWall Firewall + Shadow Defender.

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay thanks a lot guys. I've given sbie rest.

I'm now using DefenseWall Firewall. Just a question. How do I update apps? I mean if I want to update Firefox or its extensions do I make Firefox trusted, then update and again make it untrusted?

9. bo elam

When you update an untrusted application, its done trusted. If you install something like a browser, antivirus, mail client, PDF reader, video player, you do it trusted.

Bo

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

In case of FireFox, just run it as trusted, update, close and run as usual, untrusted.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah thank you. :thumb:

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Um why is DefenseWall Firewall not showing up in Security Center? It says Windows Firewall is running.

13. Solarlynx

DW Firewall is compatible with all other firewalls

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ow:blink: :ouch:

15. Solarlynx

Yes, it just applies another approach to firewall work by virtualisation and right restriction then any other known to me other firewalls. That's why it compatible with all traditional firewalls.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah great.:thumb:

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

great:D :thumb:

18. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Guys about DefenseWall. Is there any tweaking required or is it just install & forget? With SBiE one has to fiddle with settings. Apart from nominating download areas & adding my banking link, do I need to tweak & tinker??

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

No, it's all the settings need to be set by a user. The rest of the job is on my (program's) side.

20. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I still have SandBoxie filed away. But I'm happy now using DefenseWall with Emsisoft AM as support.

But..... I still miss SBoxie, though I neglected spreading SBoxie around to protect more things as I had to make the effort myself. DW does it for me. I like DW's "automatic transmission". A big winner for a lazy AaLF.

Is there benefit in re-installing Sandboxie to protect my Web Browser or is it a case of "two stones for one bird"?

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Although they run fine together I see no benefit with having them both protecting the web browser.
    DefenseWall does that job just fine on it's own. (As would Sandboxie)

22. Solarlynx

DefenseWall is more comprehensive.

23. bo elam

We hear that a lot but really it is not so. With SBIE we have the Delete contents function to get rid of all files that come into the system, something you don't have in DW. Sure, you can tell me, "Oh ah thats why I have an antivirus for and I also can get rid of suspicious, malicious files using the Rollback or I can delete them manually". Very true but with SBIE you only need to make a couple of clicks and everything is gone except what you want to recover. Doesn't that makes SBIE a little more comprehensive?

When you are using Sandboxie, you don't have to stop using the sandbox just because a file has been recovered. I never stop using SBIE, files that I recover go into a forced folder and when I move them out of there, they still get open sandboxed either by using the Forced program or Forced folder feature. One or the other cover my files 100% of the time.

My only concern really has to do with programs that I install, that's it, but you concern yourself not only with new installs but also with any strange looking file that shows up in rollback. Sure they wont do nothing to the system as long as they are untrusted but we are humans and when you see them in there, you wonder Why? and want to get rid of it. Something that SBIE does for me.

Anyway, in my opinion both are great programs, better than anything else.

Bo

24. Solarlynx

That's why I adore SBIE - it has "Automatic delete" option - my favorite feature in SBIE, and unfortunately DW doesn't have it.

Nope, it makes SBIE more easy to use and your OS more clear - all trash from sandboxed progs get wiped :thumb: .

By comprehensive I mean that DW has granular virtualization and right restrictions along all your os and for all progs by default, unlike SBIE - only for the forced to sandbox progs.

So SBIE's strong point is "Automatic delete" option,
    DW's strong point - comprehensiveness of protection.

25. bo elam

You can cover pretty much all program's in your system to make sure they always open in a sandbox. All we have to do is take what SBIE gives us and use it. I know I do. If I find myself opening some file or program out of the sandbox, to me that's a mistake. I have been making about one a year.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.