DefenseWall finds GetKeyState

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Edw, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edw

Edw Registered Member

I've installed DefenseWall and now every time I go online and type into the IE search window I get a popup with this message:
    Process "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
    \IEXPLORE.EXE" reads keystrokes via GetKeyState

Also in the DefenseWall "Events Log" I find a line showing IEXPLORE.EXE C\Program Files and goes on to say the "Event type" is a Keylogger. Is this keylogger malicious or is it normal when searching using IE. When Im offline and I type into wordpad or notepad I don't get the keylogger popup. Thanks very much for your help.

Edw

2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t use DW but I think it,s just a legit function/ behavior of IE and can be allowed safely with remember this option. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I interpreted it the same way and allowed it and remembered it, but I did this on a hunch, which is not the smartest way to do it, I guess.:( Would also like to see someone confirm.

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

It is obvious that application like: browsers, IM, email clients - reads keystrokes when we for example write smth on forum or we write a message via IM.

6. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

ICQ is reading keystrokes with GetAsyncKeyState, for instance. The problem is I can't tell for sure is this behaviour type is legitimate or not, that is why DW is notifying you.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

OK, then that means my "hunch" was as well educated as I thought. Glad to see that.

8. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Its not just IE, DefenseWall does the same with FF. I too have entries about KeyLogger when I press CTRL-F to search something on the page...
    And even I check "Do not show..." and "Allow...", it popup again and again.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

That's strange. The message should be filtered and do not pop up again. Do you experience the issue every time you run new instance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.