Defensewall and Tray Icon

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ok, testing Defensewall out and have to admit, it seems to be the most user friendly of all. Testing it on Vista with SP1. Itried it once before with XP and if I remember correctly when I opened my browser up, the tray icon turned orange until I closed my browser. With this version I am getting some sort of little mark in the top left portion of the tray icon. Is this correct.

Also, Ilya, just installed and let it be, or are there some basic settings that need to be done. It does seem to cover Vista Mail so that is good. New to this so please pardon my ignorance, and all my previous comments before today.;)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Right now, I'm also using DefenseWall HIPS v2.30 and I like the automatic locking of my second harddisk, which contains all my personal files, when I open IE or FF for surfing on the heavily infected internet.
    I also have that red spot in the right bottom corner of the icon. I know it's harmless, but I forgot the meaning.

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

1. "Turn tray icon red" is "alarm notification via tray icon". It turns red is untrusted process do anything that is potentially dangerous.
    2. DW do not automatically lock the second hard disk up- you may use it for installing software, for instance, as I do. It locks up only windows and settings folders.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but what I am getting is like a little check mark or something in the top left portion of the icon. Or is it suppose to be orange when you open your browser.

I think what I am trying to say is, when you open Internet Explorer, what should the tray icon show. And thank you for your help.

5. ErikAlbert

In Secured Files I have mentioned "D:" (D:\ ) and that locks my second harddisk [D:]
    and when I open Firefox, I can not store anything in my [D:] and I assume that nothing on the internet can read or write or steal something in my [D:]
    What am I missing ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

The chechmark is the display of the number of untrusted processes running. Maybe you need glasses or a higher screen resolution? ;)

When a untrusted process is started it turns orange, it does not always turn back to blue when no untrusted processes are running (I think forgotten to program by Ilya). When it turns red it intervents something as Ilya explained.

So when you start IE7 it should turn orange and display a 1, when you also start WMP it should stay orange and display 2, etc.

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Everything is fine- I just mentioned one of the inner protective mechanisms.

8. ErikAlbert

Sigh of relief. For awhile I thought I bought the wrong software. :)

9. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello trjan,

As for doing anything special when using DefenseWall, I will share the configuration settings that I use. I have manually added my E: (DVD/CD) and/or F: drives(DVD/CD) and pdf reader(Foxit) to the "Untrusted applications" list. In DW's main GUI, under the "Advanced" tab, clicking upon the "Options" button, I have put a check beside all of the visible options with the exception of "Automatically check for updates". I have manually added my secondary hard drive(D) and "My Documents"(Win2k/WinXP) or "Documents"(Vista) or other private files/folders to "Secured Files" which can be found under the "Advanced" tab. What the "Secured Files" feature does is prevent "untrusted" processes/applications from reading or stealing information from files/folders under its watch.

As for using DW effectively, please take the time to read the detailed and comprehensive help file which can be found at the following link.

http://www.softsphere.com/online-help/defensewall/

For technical support problems or questions you can either contact Ilya via email(support [at] softsphere [dot] com) or start a new thread at the official DefenseWall support forums which can be found at the following link.

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=193

Hope this helps.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  10. Ilya Rabinovich

CogitoErgoSum, could you, please, change my e-mail anti-spam way like support [at] softsphere [dot] com?

11. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello Ilya,

It has been corrected.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

12. Ilya Rabinovich

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

jeff, its a little number in the top left of the icon.

1 - 1 untrusted process running
    2 - 2 untrusted processes running

etc.

Ilya - 2.30 is working fine here on SP1/Vista

14. Kees1958

Hi,

I also used to mark 7-zip and Scriptdefender as untrusted (is also a good action for GeSWall). Now with total untrusted file control in DW, it is problably not needed anymore. Ilya any comments?

15. Ilya Rabinovich

7-zip compressed files extraction is under control since 2.20 version. Not sure about ScriptDefender- I never saw it.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Gee, I started this thread and it only took me to here to get a answer. Thank you Chrs, I appreciate it.;) Now to continue on with tryingto fix my issue.

I understand the nuber now but what I am trying to say it that when a untrusted process is running, I never get a orange tray icon with Vista. I do get the number of untrusted processes running as Chris described above. Is this ok?

17. Ilya Rabinovich

Yes, it is OK.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you sir.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

also is it ok to run Sandboxie with DefenseWall, or is it overkill.

20. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That's complete overkill. There's no need for both as they do the same things in different ways.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks, that is why I was asking.

22. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Actually, I should say that they could be an overlap there depending on your intentions and how you configure both. If you intend to use Sandboxie to box in your browsers and other internet apps then yes, it would be overkill. If your case, would sandboxie be residential?

23. Kees1958

n8Chavez,

Sophisticated and nuanced answer, I would say in 99% of the cases you do not need SBIE and DW together.

24. muf

muf Registered Member

I've been running them together for about two months. Everything working fine. Great thing about this setup is that anything coming through SBIE is untrusted so even when I recover a file to my pc it is untrusted. DW also makes sure no keylogging is going on and SBIE is set up so that Firefox is the only program in the sandbox that is allowed to access the net. May be overkill, but it's an effective kind of overkill.

muf

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think u meant Scripting Host. Am I right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.