Defender Pro might be crappy?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tomster, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomster

tomster Registered Member

HI o_O

on a whim i bought defender pro 5in1 at walmart...after testing it by downloading an eicar file it seemed kind of slow detecting the test virus..had to open the zip file first..also i noticed there is no option to quarentine any infected files......it says it's powered by Kapersky anti virus...also the spam blocker and utilities don't seem any great shakes..bought the whole works at wal mart for 19.95...maybe 19.95 too much.....my trend internet security had expired so i bought this..if this is a dud{i need your opinions on that} i noticed i can download bit defender for 19.95 and i read good reviews on it.

any input here would help.

Tom

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

BitDefender costs 29.95 doesnt it? o_O

Where are you able to get it for 19.95?

Anyhow, the Defender Pro has many options cut down or deleted - it is a rebranded KAV. Maybe the realtime monitor also has less options than KAV itself.....

BitDefender is a nice AV. But I suggest you try it first, as I found it a bit heavy on my PC.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It pretty much is just Kaspersky with a different logo, AFAIK. I did the same thing w/ just the AV (not the 5-in-1) and it seems just the same. It's the KAV 4.5 lite, it picks up malware pretty quick and all. I was hoping to use it as an on-demand only scanner, but apparently it won't work that way, and I won't be replacing NOD32 w/ it.

4. Firecat

The 5-in-1 pack has rebranded KAV 5 I think.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I ran defender pro 5 in 1 for a while, the AV is Kav 5.0.144 which is identical to kav and the utilities are ashampoo. over all it is a very good value for the money. The av will even use the kav extended bases. And the firewall is kav antihacker. I now use kav 5.0.277 but I still use the utilities on the defender pro disc.

6. tomster

tomster Registered Member

7. Firecat

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

This is nonsense. You can buy Corporate version on the web too.

9. controler

controler Guest

But if you buy the pro version from Herman Street you get a FREE movie :D

10. Firecat

All right - my mistake :)

11. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Tjk tjk, BitDefender 8 Corporate Client Standard as stated on the website doesn't even exist... The official name is "BitDefender Client Standard v8 "
    Weird is that they sell it as a serparate product, while Softwin claims it's in Corporate suites only... weird :eek:

12. Firecat

Thats what I find weird too.

13. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Companies can do weird things to get rid of obsolete bundles from their storage :D

14. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

OK but can you update the Defender PRO engine when KAV 5.x updates? Or are you stuck with the current KAV engine?
    Basically does your licenease allows you to update the defs and the engine or just the defs.

Also how is this performance wise...aka slow system low memory resource hogging.

15. bigc73542

Just the defs, it is the 5.0.144 version.

16. Firecat

The KAV engine updates are included in any program that uses the KAV engine.

What you dont get with Defender Pro is Program updates (New features, Bug fixes, improved interface, better resource handling, enhancements etc.)

17. DO NOT PURCHASE AND INSTALL DEFENDER PRO!!!!! IT CONTAINS A TROJAN WHICH WILL MONITOR YOUR EMAIL, CAPTURE YOUR RETURN ADDRESS AND THEN SWAMP YOU WITH GERMAN SPAM!!!!

I MADE THE MISTAKE OF PURCHASING DEFENDER PRO AT MEIJER AND AFTER INSTALLING IT, THE FIRST EMAIL I SENT RESULTED IN A CONSTANT STREAM OF SPAM WITH SUBJECT LINES IN GERMAN.

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE, DO NOT PURCHASE OR INSTALL DEFENDER PRO!!!

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

This is precisely what Sober does. Timing is a coincidence in this case, it is prevalent now.

Blue

19. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:eek:

Prove it or beg for mercy... :mad:

20. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I ve been getting German mails the last days with links with political content.It's the Sober.Q worm variant and has nothing to do with BitDefender.

As for using the Kaspersky engine,it might do,but seems doesn't have the same database.Starting from 21 May,when i remember it ,i pass from Jotti's mailscan and start giving points for every malware detected to some antivirus (that interest me ).It is completely unscientific and random (depends on what malware i ll encounter the moment i ll go to Jotti's page).Till now the "score" is as follows,and shows that BitDefender although good,isn't exactly KAV:

AntiVir 11
    Avast 9
    AVG 5
    BitDefender 14
    ClamAV 7
    Kaspersky 22
    NOD32 12

P.S:In case someone wants to protest for the results,this is not a test.It's simply casual samples from Jotti's scanner that i sign down for my own amusement and intend to continue this for months.Although the sample is still small,till now i m getting small variations(the tendency is to keep these distances).I m a bit preoccupied about AVG though,cause it's what i m using as resident right now...Duh.Anyway...

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  21. bigc73542

I have DP 5 in 1 and DP 10 in one and there is no malware included on those disc's. You picked up that trojan somewhere else. You really shouldn't make statements like that without proof.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.