Defender Pro has a new website

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

http://www.defender-pro.com

It appears that now you can buy their software online, so its available to international customers too.

The prices are quite cheap and offer some decent features, but I've not received word about program updates. I sent an email to support asking them about program updates/upgrades, and the initial response has been quite fast, though the support rep only answered one of my questions.

The good news is that Defender Pro allows for installation on up to 3 computers per license.

I shall keep you updated as and when I receive replies on the other questions I've asked relating to update and upgrade, renewals and multiple-year licenses.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The Home Basic price at $30, for KAV 5, AntiHacker and AntiSpam looks tempting.

But take into account that it will probably not offer a program update from Kav 5, most Home users will not use the AntiSpam and this version has the old Antihacker which is not as good as the new one in KIS 6. It's basically a cheap, older version of Kaspersky's Internet Security Suite. BUT it is still an attractive offer, particularly if you have a number of computer systems at Home.

BUT they need to renew their Security Certificate :blink:

Attached Files:

3. Firecat

Its actually AntiSpyware, not AntiSpam. I have no idea which engine the AntiSpyware is based on.

Something's strange about that Thawte certificate. It was issued in 2005, but Defender Pro was never offered online in 2005! Why issue a certificate when you are not going to sell it? o_O

Yes, its a rebranded version of Kaspersky 5.0, I think the Anti-Virus module is a bit updated over the 2005 version. Someone reported the version as 5.0.146 (the 2005 version was 5.0.121 I believe), but nothing's confirmed yet.

I've also asked about renewal and upgrades, but got nothing yet. 2 reasons:

a)They probably don't work weekends (Saturday, Sunday) and Monday, 29 May 2006 is Memorial Day (holiday)

b)I had a temporary lapse of good luck when I got the first reply :p:'(

4. Firecat

An update for everyone:

There does seem to be a support team for Defender Pro, but they are *very* slow. I have received a reply from Defender Pro on June 20, though I sent the queries on May 28! :eek:

Anyway, about updates, upgrades and renewals:

1)The Defender Pro product comes with signature file updates and minor engine updates. That does usually not include a new 2007 version though, but interpreting from the email I received, it would seem that you would have to stick with your KAV 5.0 Defender Pro even if they had a new 2007 version with KAV 6.0 in it.

So, basically Defender Pro is KAV 5 + Minor engine updates, so the program remains updated.

2)Currently you can only purchase yearly licenses for Defender Pro.

3)Currently, the renewal price is $14.99 for the AV+Firewall package. They did say that more details on renewals may be disclosed within a year, but nothing's for sure at this point.

Even if you have to pay $30 yearly, I wouldn't say Defender Pro is a bad deal, since it covers 3 PCs.

If you want a cheap version of KAV+Kaspersky Firewall for 3 PCs, then you should get Defender Pro. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.