Deepfreeze and Vista

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Osaban, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have Vista Ultimate on my new laptop, and I've installed the trial version of Deepfreeze, alas ShadowUser isn't available for Vista. Everything seemed to run fine except trying out different functions of my new machine, I've noticed that it wouldn't hibernate, closing the lid it would trigger the stand-by (sleep) procedure as expected but the return to normal was somewhat chaotic.

As the computer is new I reinstalled Vista (the best part of a day wasted) and the problems were gone. At this stage I could check as I was installing programs what would happen to the hibernation mode. Well as the title implies Deepfreeze was responsible(Thawed state), and even though I never use the hibernation function, one would wonder what else might be affected unknowingly.

I was wondering if anybody else had experienced similar problems, from my part regrettably Deepfreeze is not a keeper

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've haven't tried deepfreeze with vista yet, but i think i'll give it a try and see how it goes.
    You could always try returnil, its vista compatible and does a similar job to deepfreeze.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, I think Returnil will be next, although I'm a bit disappointed about not being able to use DeepFreeze (they've been around for a long time).

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You could try posting in the faronics forums and see if you can get some help there.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I used DeepFreeze for the trial period, about 2 weeks on XP and the remaining time on my new vista.I do not recall having any issues, However as much as I do like the program,I switched to returnil free.The session like on the fly Is nice touch and seems to be way less reboots.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

In Hibernate mode, the system first writes RAM to a file, hyberfil.sys, on C:\, and then turns off.

DeepFreeze, in Frozen state, does not permit Hibernate because changes (hiberfil.sys) to a frozen partition can't be retained on a restart from Hibernate.

----
    rich

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In Frozen state, it is understood that some processes can't be started, but my computer wouldn't hibernate in 'thawed state' which has been confirmed by Faronics support.

Now the point is to know from the beginning what to expect installing DF. Had I known of this behavior it would have saved me 3 hours at the shop where I bought my new computer trying to find out why, and a full day reinstalling/ reconfiguring Vista. The computer vendor was convinced the whole thing was caused by installing Vista Service Pack 1 (how easy it is to blame Microsoft!)

For the record, ShadowUser (within XP) hibernates in frozen and thawed state, Returnil (within Vista) hibernates in thawed state and in frozen state(recovery from within the frozen state is through a black screen).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.