Deepfreeze alternative that allows restore state on logoff

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by denywinarto, Jun 2, 2017.

1. denywinarto

denywinarto Registered Member

As the title says

We need this feature for a multiseat public usage..
    In case if you don't know, shutdown is not possible in multiseat setup because it would shutdown the entire connected computers..
    So we need a program that could 'deepfreeze' between logoff

We tried restore rollback rx that claims to have this feature.
    But once the "restore on logoff" is ticked,
    upon switching users the pc will always shutdown...
    kinda dissapointing cause if it works that way then it's false marketing

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

3. denywinarto

Just tested clean slate demo,
    but i cant even enter the menu,
    the password i entered during setup doesn't work
    pretty sure it's the correct pass cause it's just 12345
    guess it just ruined my installation

I've been using something ccboot diskless for about a year.. kinda similar to hypervisor
    then i saw of aster multiseat and interested with its potential for cost saving and hardware optimization..

Edit : this program is screwed up, i just tried it again with vm (diskless) and it wont accept the same password i entered 5 minutes earlier during installation

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I still haven't got what type of multiseat you are trying to achieve...

1. If you want admin accounts to restore on logoff... this cannot be performed, unless the system is rebooted (the account can be reset but the modifications done on the system cannot). For windows the only solution is to use a hypervisor and multiple vms.
    2. If you want standard user accounts to restore on logoff... this can be done by creating a mandatory user profile and assigning it to the various accounts.
    for windows 7 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg241183(v=ws.10).aspx
    for windows 10 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mandatory-user-profile
    http://www.htguk.com/create-windows-mandatory-profiles-in/

ps. also take a look at wioski http://www.wioski.com/ . (is a great alternative to deepfreeze and similar apps)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  5. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

Clean slate 10.5 here (latest official version and build 4857)
    Windows 10 x64 Pro (other versions not tested) Windows login accounts are not created apart from the defaults.

Positives

tested by deleting various allowed filetypes from desktop, and after logging out and back in things are back as if nothing had happened. only works with security enabled. if security is temporarily disabled (by going to file menu ticking disable all security, the security remains disabled even after restart until going back into file menu and unticking disable security. presumably it is for updating drivers, virus defs, or updates etc (unconfirmed) with security disabled. enabling or disabling security takes immediate
    effect and doesnt need restart or logout and back in to work, unless asked to do so.
    updates with secure a plus (updating defs) works.
    updating windows defender defs works. and presumably windows updates.
    protection remains disabled even after reboot or shutdown until manually re enabled by user.
    protection if enabled mostly doesnt need a reboot, a logout and log back in is all that is needed (there might be times when a reboot is needed, but using my testing i have not come across any).

Tested with password and i have not seen the error described above.

Negatives or limitations

some programs need all clean slate security disabled to install.
    some windows commands eg copy (and presumably paste) need clean security disabled. when security is disabled works as normal
    blocks some downloads
    blocks deleting or emptying recycle bin seems to affect ".exe" (executable) other types dont seem to be affected (non executables), with protection turned off things are back to normal.
    blocks installs or uninstalls with security enabled.
    doesnt work with other VM programs (VMWare workstation v12.5.583279 tested) after disabling clean slate security.
    protection remains disabled or enabled even after reboot or shutdown until manually changed by user.

Performance
    no noticeable difference .

Note

not tested with malware or viruses just deleting icons from desktop, changing wallpaper and installing programs etc and any other things it would allow, updates have stuck so far so long as you remember to disable security before updating, and all tests worked after logoff and back in.more testing is needed to be sure, but so far it has done all the things it claims it will do and not encountered any problems tested for approx 2 weeks still and ongoing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. garry35

tested by deleting some windows registry entries so windows is screwed up and wont boot (this had to be done after disabling protection to allow changes) when is restarted (or tried to) i found out that there was no option to re enable protection and undo any changes, forcing a reinstall. this is a limitation of the software in so much that there is no option to go into recovery mode.

7. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Why did you stop using Deep Freeze? They still offer it. Have you looked at Shadow Defender?

8. garry35

deep freeze and shadow defender are both good progs, but updating quickly becomes a chore

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You can´t use Shadow Defender permanently, of course. You need some type or work routine to allow updates to install when SD is not enabled. Inevitably, some updates will have to be downloaded and installed again, but this can be minimized.

10. garry35

after testing clean slate, it appears to be filesystem based. messing around creating files or folders on the desktop and various other place protected by clean works as it claims to, but messing with the windows registry in various ways intended to trash a windows installation always results in an un bootable system requiring a reinstall to fix. the website and publicity says that changes are discarded on logout or reboot depending on how its configured, but this clearly doesnt seem to work, unless i have missed a setting or option. this all makes it unsuitable for testing the nastier malware and sabotage attempts.

11. garry35

just a quick update, i have been in contact with fortres grand clean slate devs via online live support chat and they said they are aware of the reg problem as above and are looking into a fix (at least i assumed it was the dev i was chatting to)

12. denywinarto

Sorry for the late reply, took me a while to setup my multiseat environment..
    I'm now running aster multiseat with 9 clients.

Unfortunately Cleanslate doesn't work under aster multiseat.
    I think it's because aster, when in enabled state, opens multiple accounts at the same time.
    And during enabled state, cleanslate can't seem to connect to its local central control (forgot the name) where it stores the password.
    No wonder i got the bug that i mentioned before.
    After disabling aster, cleanslate works again.

is there another alternative that could restore state between logoff?

13. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

14. denywinarto

See my first post reboot restore's "restore on logoff" is just a gimmick.

15. denywinarto

Looks like my only option is to use mandatory profile with windows 7,
    i tested mandatory profile before with windows 10 and it's too unstable, got a corrupted profile every now and then.
    Anybody tested windows 10"s shared-pc ?
    Does it work with local pc, e.g without domain? I'm also lost at provisioning package part.. can we provision any apps?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.