Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Vikorr, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You have to partition *before* you install DF:

1) if you do a clean format/reinstall, you can to it at that time

2) otherwise, you need PartitionMagic or something similar (which is what I did)

You need to leave at least 10% extra space on C:\ - I have an extra 1GB anyway.

Be sure and read the white papers and FAQ before trying. I gave an incorrect URL in previous post. Here is their FAQ:

http://www.faronics.net/faq/

regards,

-rich

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hi controler, haven't seen you around in a while... thought you might be ill :(

What does the Pro version offer that you like?

-rich

3. controler

controler Guest

RMUS Hello

I like the option to create a thaw space on install & I like the encryption of components.

I have not tried this with Deepfreeze but with my Shadowuser install
    I am using RAMDisk as an H: Vol. and Shadowuser Pro guards both by C: & H: (RAM) drive. At present I am experimenting with this combo. I have Firefox installed on my RAMDisk - H: and it works very fast. At present I only setup RAMDisk to 128 meg. My desktop only has 512 Meg. RAmDisk allows 2 gig.
    Found here
    http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm

controler

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Yes, I can see that would be useful.

That's very innovative, controler. Back in Win95 days I used a product called vRamDir - in those days of slow cpu it was really great. Haven't experimented in a long time with a RAMdisk - I'll check out that link.

Thanks,

-rich

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Re: Deep Freeze: other considerations

On the minus side:

Since nothing written to a frozen partition will stick, consider what writes to the Registry that you may rely on.

1) Program settings. Using MSWord as an example: it stores its settings in the Registry, so, if you changed, for instance, something with your spell/grammar check, you would have to reboot thawed - make changes - reboot frozen.

2) If you like Word's Recent File List, it won't keep the list current, since that's also stored in the Registry

3) MRU lists. While you can remap the Start Menu to a different partition using TweakUI, I don't think that includes the Start|Run MRU (haven't tried it, though) -because MRU lists are kept in the Registry. Now, many people purge these lists anyway, so it may not be a bother.

On the plus side:

1) Once C:\ is set up and frozen, it requires no maintenance - scan disk, defrag, temp files - the frozen partition is restored byte-by-byte (their term) on reboot. If you keep your programs on another partition, you probably would never make any changes to C:\

2) System files never get corrupted or changed.

For anyone considering one of these lockdown programs, I would do what controler has done and really think through what it implies to install something like this. I spent more than a week putting down on paper what the changes would be, etc., before I took the plunge.

regards,

-rich

6. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Just read a few things on shadowuser.

If I understand correctly, shadowuser also restores your system to the 'shadowed' configuration upon reboot. And you can have an 'exclusions list' that will automatical be saved (so it isn't lost after reboot). You also have the option of manually allowing info to be saved.

Is this all correct ?

Sounds a bit easier to use than Deep freeze if that's the case...as I'd have to create a partition to do things like that in deepfreeze.

7. controler

controler Guest

Vikoor

That is correct. Shadowuser is easier to use in my mind.
    As mentioned, in my shadowuser setup, I have installed a RAMDisk.
    AT present, I only have firefox installed on the RAMDisk. If I had a machine with 2 gig RAM on it, I would think I could add alot of programs to the RAMDisk & things will run much faster ;)
    With Shadowuser, & this type setup, you can protect both your RAMDisk & your C: or just c:
    I have not tried this with Deepfreeze yet.

If you try experimenting with RAMDisk, they allow like 14 open the GUI funtions for the trial. It took me about 5 to get it setup this way so from what I can tell, if you get it setup within those 14 times of running the GUI, you could use it forever in the trial state :D

Rich, If I were you and trying RAMDisk with word ect. I would for sure install that on the RAMDisk for speed ;)
    The same company makes a RAMDrive with 4 gig but it is way to expensive for a home user. If we could only get the big chip manufactures to come out with a big cheap RAMDrive, we would have it made.
    If I could buy a 4 gig for say 200 bucks - 100 even better, I would buy stock in that company. This would be the new era.

P.S. So far I have not received a free LIC for either RAMDisk, Deepfreeze or Shadowuser. What happened to the old days when I could get them? LOL

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.