Deep Freeze. (Ultimate System Restore) Anyone using here it too.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ultragunnerdcl, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

Im using Deep Freeze., The Ultimate System Restore. It freezes your baseline configuration & prevent any changes to your registry & drivers & windows. It can destroy any viruses even the metamorphic viruses(the most powerful virus) which some can evade detection by all virus scanners because of their ability to transform completely. It concept is the "end of time". No viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, rootkits, dialers, jokes, hacktools, can beat TIME itself. Just one reboot all mallware totally destroyed 100% like no mallware has infected you. !!!!!

2. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

If you do a forum search here for Deep Freeze you'll find a number of threads.

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Use search function to see how many hassle you can get with deep freeze and beside who wants a permanent frost?

Frost = no change = not alive

Live is change mr super clever

You will never be able to prevent viruses, because viruses are motor of evolution as a part of life.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Am I using it yes and Returnil on other machines. Just curious though - how do you ensure that the nasty things you mention don't get in when you turn off the freeze protection to update various programs - especially the viruses that no one can detect :cautious: ?

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You also should check and see how it faired with the KIllDisk trojan :D

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what hassle ?

7. SystemJunkie

It destroyed cmos bootblock on my old system. Locked up forever, any kind of floppy disk will never be recognized again. (was a older version don´t know if they improved their maniac tool)

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Image Backup is the Ultimate System Restore, not Immediate System Recovery.

9. SystemJunkie

That´s not a toy just for info it can seriously damage your hardware (incl. cmos/bios). If someone will discover the source code of this cmos manipulation just post it in here. :) :) :)

I am really keen of seeing a full forensic analysis of all changes this negligent thing makes on harddisk and in bios.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

DeepFreeze is full of horror stories. Better NOT to play with fire as a wise man once said, once burned twice scorched.

11. ErikAlbert

DeepFreeze is not the only ISR-software :

FirstDefense-ISR + clones
    PowerShadow
    Returnil
    Rollback Rx + clones
    ShadowDefender
    ShadowUser
    All these softwares push malware into the Bermuda Triangle. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  12. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

IC. What do you recommend to me that is a better alternative to deep freezeo_Oo_O

13. ErikAlbert

This is a very difficult question. All these softwares have little, sometimes bigger differences and that's how users make their final choice.
    Returnil is the only freeware and that makes it popular.

14. idle.newbie

idle.newbie Registered Member

FWIW theres several trojans and variants break into DF and some ISR-card protection in China (Sep./Oct. 2007) many inet cafe there use ISR solution only. One of them has an AIBO dog icon (机器狗病毒), place a pcihdd.sys into system32\drivers and later replace userinit.exe with a trojan downloader.

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use deepfreeze as well. Its always run flawlessly for me. Its the only security i use on that particular system.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    Floppy disk? you must be talking about obsoleted DF versions, those are breached by UNFREEZER(from south America). They are history now. Newer version 6.x and up are password protected. No original installation file and no known password, then no unlock or uninstall are ever possible. Human manipulations or cyber viruses/trojans (such as killdisk) attacks are out of order, do not even think about it. IMO, in DF's frozen state, your PC well-being are fully protected. But when in thawed mode, you just have to be more vigilant. I switched from FD-ISR / Acronis True Image package to Deep Freeze after suffered KillDisk attack. Never look back. I would recommend it to my friends and stand behind my action. Take care.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Can you proivide the link to these reports.
    I read Chinese and understand it very well. Thanks

18. idle.newbie

idle.newbie Registered Member

google "机器狗病毒" i got 194,000 entries...

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, horror stories due mainly to ignorance from the user. It's not the kind of software to trial blindly without doing some reading. Faronics was one the first to develop this sandbox idea, and even though there are alternatives, IMO it is still very competitive in price and very rugged, especially if one uses it in conjunction with AntiExecutables.

I use something else, but my next computer will have it, as they have shown to be very active in upgrading their applications.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

A little OT but Perman, if you are so literate in Chinese perhaps you could if you will make over to EQSecure and plz let us know if another new version is in the making or anything else that could prove helpful for that Chinese HIPS, which is a Super app IMHO.

Thanks a' Plenty for any help for us english only readers.

21. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks the hint.
    I Google it, and 208,000 entries show up !
    I selected the ones related to DeepFreeze, and read several.
    Yes, This Doggy can breach DeepFreeze from version 5.7 to 6.2.
    The current version is 6.3 :p lucky enough ? I am using this version.
    This animal is a Trojan downloader using hook tech getting into system's hard drive.
    Hope Av's vendors or their alike have an anti-dose for it. Take a good care.

22. SystemJunkie

:D Lol
    The cmos lock is unbreakable you can hear it as a click clack sound after rebooting (at least it was the way the old version worked). Does anyone know more about this incredible hardware manipulation? Who can reveal the secret?

AntiFreeze could not solve my cmos problem, I also tested it but this was harddrive specific, I think the cmos floppy/boot lock remains forever(except if one exchange the board or the cmos)

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't have any statistical evidence to back up what I'm saying, but reading the Faronics site, and from personal experience reading security forums, I wouldn't be surprised if DeepFreeze was the most popular sandbox application worldwide, particurlarly for institutions like Universities, libraries etc.

What does it mean? That it is also the most targeted sandbox by crackers because of its popularity. Unfortunately it's what I'd call the 'Norton syndrome'.

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

25. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Like the previous program which breached Deep Freeze, the user has to install an executable. Its success, therefore, depends on the security setup of the computer in use, that is, whether or not an unauthorized executable can install without the owner's permission.

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.