Deep Freeze and Trim

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Acadia, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I've been reading a couple of the threads that mention how certain lite virtualization products "mess" with the Trim on SSDs to make you think that they are compatible with the SSD when in reality they might even go as far as to disable the Trim or something like that.

Does anyone know of Faronic's Deep Freeze does something like that or is Deep Freeze truly compatible with Trim?

Thank you,
    Acadia

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

This is a good question that needs an answer. I can check with a guy at Faronics - but it can't be until Tuesday. We'll get to the bottom of this issue. I think TRIM is actually still enabled on the drive itself and is simply not being reported as such through a virtualized Windows session. But, I'll find out with certainty.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you aigle and LockBox. It will be interesting to see what the fellow at Faronics has to say.

Acadia

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

ToolWiz Time Freeze works with TRIM while in Shadow Mode.
    Shadow Defender, as of the new version released, also works while in Shadow Mode.

In both cases TRIMCheck shows it's working.

So, probably it's doable, unless the inherent way the program works, doesn't permit it.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Sorry, perhaps I should have stated: I rarely ever actually "freeze" my system with Deep Freeze (surfing behind two sandboxes and a VM, I just don't feel it necessary very often :D ). I just want to make sure that having DF on my system and only using it once or twice has not killed the TRIM. I am new to this SSD stuff and still just learning. Security is one thing but giving life to these new hard drives is another. :doubt:

Acadia

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I 've never used Deep Freeze, i 've no idea how it works. What i can tell you, is that using it doesn't PERMANENTLY kill TRIM. When it's not active, TRIM, as verified by TRIMCheck, should be working. When it's active, it's another story...

I guess you have to see for yourself and Faronics support on that.

What i 've seen with Shadow Defender, even with the version where TRIM wasn't working for my SSD when shadowed, is that when SD was not active, TRIM was working.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm..... Too sandboxes and a VMware, plus DF too. :eek:

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Just to touch base.....

I tried to get in touch with my contact at Faronics and I received a vacation reply. They'll be back on March 4th.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks for keeping up with that, LockBox. :cool:

Acadia

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just for everyone's information and for what its worth, I downloaded and ran the Trim checker at this site: http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

According to that program, and "thank you" by the way to the person who created it, Trim appears to still be working on my system with DeepFreeze. Info that may be of concern to some of you: I usually do not use DeepFreeze, very rarely. I did not run this Trim Check program while DeepFreeze was running, I used the normal state of my pc which, to repeat myself, usually runs without DF.

Hoping this info is useful in some small way,
    Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.