Deeep Freeeze etc Lockout Sessions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mr.Ree, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Ree

Mr.Ree Registered Member

Hello there everybody i would like your thoughts on the following scenario.

I've misplelt the title on purpose,not wanting to single out just one program that goes back.

I know that products like these allow us to reboot to a before the last reboot situation.This can eliminate what happened on a HD on the previous session,like any malware infiltration etc. But, what happens if we just rely on one of those programs. Assuming of course we have a good firewall,i've heard it said that we don't require anything else as we can go back in time.

Well how about between reboots someone gets infected with a Trojan/Rootkit/Keylogger.And during this session they use passwords and log in to email,do Online banking etc etc.Sure once we reboot it's back to square one,but what about those passwords etc etc that may have been transferred out to whoever in the meantime and compromised us in various ways ?

So it appears to me that as nice to have as these time machines apparently seem,we still need all our other security programs in place to protect us inbetween reboots !

Mr.Ree

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mr. Ree,

I agree. Even with a lockdown program, I think it is necessary to have at least one good AV/AT on the machine for intra-day protection. I think these kind of programs work best in an environment (such as a school) where downloading and installing new programs is prohibited, and going back one day removes any potential malware that may be installed during browsing sessions (e.g. hijackings).

Rich

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I agree with this, and as such, am hesitant to recommend Deep Freeze for home use (even though I use it) because users have to carefully think out how this program will affect their computing habits. We use DF on our three Community College campuses and in the several years that DF has been installed, there have been no occurrences of OS corruption on any computer. The HD requires no maintenance (Scan Disk, Defrag, Temp files, etc) because the state of the HD never changes while in the Frozen State.

edit: I mis-read the first part of the question.

Deep Freeze doesn't prevent any malware from getting into your computer, it just removes it following a reboot. So, as far as using AV or other anti- _______ products, this depends on your computing habits, especially your user awareness, alertness, and common sense. If you frequent the back alleys of cyberspace, then some type of added protection may help allay your fears.

In addition to Deep Freeze, I use only a Firewall and have never had any problems.

There is another product that might be more user-friendly for home use - ShadowUser - which works in a different way than Deep Freeze.

For an in depth discussion of this topic, see the thread started by Gerard Morentzy, "Deep Freeze Experiences":

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=60158

Best regards,

-rich

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.