Dectection spyware, adware, riskware etc

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by whitewolf, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitewolf

whitewolf Registered Member

Hello,

I am very curious, Nod32 2.5 claims to tackle spyware, adware, riskware etc i have done an test but from the 15 riskware i have installed on an testpc Nod32 detects 7 it cleans 3 and the rest no solution. An additional anti-spyware product is necessary there is also no registry checker in Nod32 so suspect registrykeys are doing there job on the fly. There is no doubt Nod32 version 2.5 is an very good product but detecting spyware etc is an case apart and an only an state of the art anti-spyware is the only solution to fight every kind of spyware.

2. kenw

kenw Registered Member

As this is the first version that includes spyware, I guess we will have to wait and see how it matures.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

You'll see that the regulars here (myself included), recommend running a layered approach to protection - over time, the spyware detection/removal will improve, and the won't necessarily be the case that additional tools are required (your mileage may vary) - however, until the spyware detection/removal improves, keep additional tools on your machine, and submit anything you have cause to think NOD32 does not detect... help the guys (and gals?) at Eset provide us with the tool you want!

regards

Greg

4. Raptess

Raptess Registered Member

Myself and a friend have also done a 'test' of the Nod32 Spyware capabilities, and I'm extremely dissapointed :(

The test was Nod32 v2.5 vs Microsoft Antispyware vs Lavasoft Ad-Aware on 2 PC's that I know were heavily infected with Spyware / Addware etc.

MS Antispy found 630 Spyware and Addware files and 29 Registry values.
    Ad-Aware found a few more then MS Antispy, plus a whole bunch of tracking cookies (about 1200 of them).

Nod32 v2.5 found 1 Addware file, in the game directory of Starwars Republic Commando :eek:

Now I know this is your 1st attempt at Spyware etc, but I think you missed something .. hehe ..

Reguardless of these results, I think its a fantastic idea to include in Nod32.. Good luck to making it work ;)

5. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

I said this here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=453506&postcount=2 :D

Ding Dong! :D
    the guys yes but keep your fingers away from the gals :D :D :D LOL

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I use malware tools on all my clients setups anyways, and NOD32 for my antivirus program.

All windows updates
    Google Toolbar to help minimize end users clicking on popups and being mislead down some road
    Microsoft Antispyware utility
    Spybot Search and Destroy, updated and immunized
    Lavasoft Adaware, updated
    SpywareBlaster, updated and enable all protection

While antivirus programs are and have been starting to improve ad/spyware detection, I still separate that malware from viruses/worms.

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Whilst i cant wait for nod to improve in its adware/spyware and annoyware :) detection , i think the main sticking point for me is that eset continue to proclaim the fact (at its website) that it will protect from such malware when in fact its worse at detection than practically all well known free ones at present.Im not knocking nod...i use it .. i just wish that if they are gonna advertise about protecting against such malware , that they should do a decent job of it (at least as good as the free ones anyway)
    ellison

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi guys,

the ESET is doing a great job adding this kind of protection in NOD32.
    As Happy Bytes, they are hardly working to improve NOD32 detection for this kind of threats, so wait and I'm sure that we will be impressed with the results like always... ;)

Regards

9. NOD user

NOD user Guest

Er, you wanted to write "working hard", not "hardly working", didn't you?

Greetings from another non-English speaking country :D

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D

Thanks for the correction...

Sometimes I hate the English language... ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

English is my first language and i mess it up all the time. ;) :D

snowbound

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I believe you sincerely... ;)

13. jram

jram Registered Member

I as a Nod user wish they didn't even waste their time on spyware, I have programs for spyware.. What I want is a product to stop viruses, which Nod does nicely.. I use Nod and BOClean,I think those 2 programs work great together..I think Nod has falling into the giving the users what they want to keep up with Norton etc etc.. Everyone has spyware programs on their machine to fight spyware.. Just keep up the good work on virus protection. My 2 cents.

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 is able to detect spyware heuristically. We have received dozens of samples not detected by other antispyware programs ;-)

15. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

there is such a thin dividing line between spyware/adware/trojan/virus nowadays that an antivirus lile NOD has to be an Antimalware program rather than an antivirus

most of the newer forms of spyware/adware use viral & trojan techniques and many are written by the old virus writers who have changed their methods and instead of being out to cause damage have unfortunately grown up and write for profit now.

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I second that. As you might have noticed we have begun using the term "threat" in v. 2.5 instead of "virus".

17. NOD user

NOD user Guest

It's all very well but I do hope NOD32 will not become just another "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none program".

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD user,

What did you think about the Kaspersky detection?

It's excellent and also have this kind of protection, so why not NOD32 also have that?

Regards

19. NOD user

NOD user Guest

Don't get me wrong. I do think that NOD32 should be able to detect all sorts of malware (not only viruses). However, I'm not sure whether soley depending on heuristics is the right approach when it comes to the detection of spyware. Maybe NOD32 should also try to work with real signatures. Using heuristics is a great feature, there is no doubt about it, but it should also use sigs. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I did use KAV until recently, but my old computer was no longer able to cope with this AV. NOD32, on the other hand, runs very smoothly on my machine; that's what I like best about NOD32. And it's a great AV as well.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

But NOD32 already have a lot of signutures for that... ;)

21. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

As far as I an aaware with NOD, heuristics is just a part of the antispyware package, it is including signatures as well, but it is also trying to use heuristics to spot the behaviour of the spyware/adware packages, and as a lot of them attempt to connect to fairly well know known server blocks, that is an approach that can help detect the fact that something is there.

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I agree. NOD32 is relatively new to the Spyware detection, and I'm sure its gonna improve in a while ;)

23. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

On that basis alone I already love it :)

24. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you do understand the settings right?

the reason I ask, is that back with 2.12.3, I was finding stuff left behind by other AV solutions - no-one has brought me anything minging with infections since v2.5, but I'd be willing to bet that when they do (give it another week), the first pass at max settings will clean up a major percentage of all problems.

In the past, it's mainly been toolbars and the like that I've resorted to other cleaners for - a few registry fixes to clean up - but NOD32 has ALWAYS been my first pass cleaner, and it does a pretty nice job as a first sweep at any infectious machine... while not perfect, I find your 1 find to more likely a poor choice of settings than anything else.

25. Raptess

Raptess Registered Member

I can assure you, I had the settings on MAX detection. That was the entire purpose of the test.

I've been using Nod32 now for about 18 months and its been #1 ever since I got it. Just now that they have add in the spyware etc, it needs some work :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.