Decrease Security using Dial Up Internet?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ashwin, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Greeetings

I've read most of the basics for security from Wilders forum while using DSL and Broadband, but will be accessing the internet for a while using dial up service.

I'm using Windows XP sp2, the MS firewall, MS Anti Spyware, AVG free, AdAware, Spybot SD with resident shield on (teatimer?), SpywareBlaster & Guard, and Ewido.

As Pooh Bear would say, everything is now as "slow as day old Hunny".

The internet service companay said to unplug the Firewall, as there is not "room" for hackers to get in, etc...

Can you help me out on this- are most of the postings here assuming a highspeed internet connection, and what can I turn off for more speed without compromising security?

Does the Process Guard slow internet connections down?

Thanks much and Highest Regards

Ashwin

2. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Thanks Spanner

firewall: ON!

Ashwin

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm an old-timer still on my dialup myself, and way back when I first tried ZA (free) the alerts every couple of seconds were a pain. My excellent ISP said that most of that was just internet "noise" -- obviously I'd lose a little protection by taking ZA out, but given that I usually wasn't online long, and connected frequently during the day with corresponding IP changes, plus my other protection software, it was probably the least significant thing I could lose.

I've since put ZA back in, once I learned to shut off the Internet alerts.

On dialup, assuming your protection is otherwise good, the main thing you'll want and need a firewall for (and not the Win one) is program control of outgoing access, rather than incoming protection.

4. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Thanks Mike

Some of my set up is very much like yours, and I'm assuming you have no trouble connecting to the internet or with "time outs while attempting to connect with..."

A friend told me this morning he's running Windows '98 with no virus or adware protection on dial-up. He has very little memory left (on the computer, that is!) and so has not installed any anti-spyware tools.

He did the online Panda scan, and the Spy Audit (from Webfoot/Spysweeper) and had only 3 cookies. He is using IE 6 (I use Firefox almost exclusive now) and deletes cookies after each session.

I read on one of the reviews (Download.com, I think) that the new ZA no longer audits outgoing, while that feature was included in the older versions of ZA. Just a rumor??

I was using Outpost until I lost my hard drive info recently, and have not reinstalled yet. Thanks again.

Ashwin

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I haven't seen the review -- but I'm currently using ZA 5.5.062.011 (free version), which is supposedly right up to date, and that does have outgoing program control. Maybe by "audit" they mean logging of outgoing access attempts, rather than control of them?

One potential problem with ZA which I've heard about, but haven't (yet, knock wood) encountered myself is that supposedly it can sometimes "forget" its settings and need them redone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.