Decision to Use AV,

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am not at my computer that Arcavir is on, but if memory serves me correctly, I think memory usage is around 28-35 MB's and yes it runs about as light as Dr Web. I would have to say as close as they are, Dr. Web is the lighter of the two though.
    I will edit this when I get home and let you know for certain the total memory usage.

EDIT:
    Just found this from a post by BlueZannetti;
    Like mks_vir 2004, there are multiple processes with a relatively heavy RAM footprint (30-40 MB) but very little drag on system responsiveness. Updating does not require a passworded account, so that constraint is a thing of the past.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  2. Patrician

Patrician Guest

Surely if the developers of Avast are "working to improve their detection rates" then that means that Avasts detection rates aren't good enough at this time?

3. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Avast is good enough for normal use, it's always room for improvement though. I have used it mostly on my spare box for two years without any problems. The only time I remove it is to trial another AV. It is primary AV on two kids comps and it does it's job.
    IMHO it is the best free AV.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

No.

The avast! already have a very good detection, but they said that they will improve this area :)

And avast! Home Edition is the best free AV available...

5. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I totally agree with VaMPiRiC_CRoW, avast! Antivirus already has a very good detection for common and most dangerous malware that you probably encounter in daily computing operations.

Although avast! has no real heuristics analysis in its on-demand and on-access scanner by design but avast! has special kind of detection method in many ways to detect unknown malware such as generic detection and others.

If you've continuously used avast! you would see a little strange malware name offered by avast! such as the following

VBS:Malware [Script]
    VBS:Malware [Gen]
    VBS:Malware [Encrypted]
    VBS:Generic-Direct
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {Delphi}
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}

So I hardly believe that most or some of them automatically generate by avast! generic detection, no less no more. And when Web Shield came in version 4.6 so it's a good indicator that avast! developers will be improving the avast!'s detection rates at content threats area (adware, spyware, etc.).

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=64031&page=2&pp=25

Furthermore, avast! 4.6 also light on resources so it not slowdown common PCs and avast! has so many good features, more configurations and excellent support forum too. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  6. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Yesterday Night I was checking the Forums of AVAST and ArcaVir and really AVAST Forum is Great, many Post and many answer, many People Expert is working all time....Think that is a Very Import point to considere.....

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Believe me larouse, you wont be disappointed with ArcaVir support! I personally think ArcaVir as a very good product, and the heuristics is the feature which sets ArcaVir away from Avast!

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I say give Avast! a try. IMO when you look at the overall package Avast! is one of the best AV's, Free or Paid.

9. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Ummm .. Well .. not even KAV the King detects **Everything** .. it is impossible. Why? Because for one thing there are just too many malwares and variants popping up out there; one product cannot possibly detect everything there is out there at any given time. Secondly, a malicious hacker can easily modify malware, via encryption or packing or some other common method, to make it undetected. Even many of the trojan zipkits you find in warez and hacker sites, look at the "Readme.txt" and the author is always offering undetected versions for a fee. It is a fairly common thing .. so, no AV can possibly claim to have 100% detection of everything that's out there. Given this fact, it suffices for your AV to protect you against what you are likely to encounter in everyday computing practice; beyond that is "gravy", but be constantly aware of the "myth" of absolute 100% protection.

10. larouse

The last Update,

This Morning I bought one Licence of AVAST Pro and one of ArcaVir 2005
    I installed ARCAVIR 2005 with the New License ( trial period Expired two days ago ) and Installed AVAST Fresh in other laptop same / same Software, same Model, everything same ) my surprise was that the ARCAVIR laptop run slow vs the AVAST Laptop.....Why, don't know....But is very notorius when start to receive Emails.....

With AVAST took 12 sec
    Witha ARCAVIR took 34 sec

We leaved the Email in the server were the same Email.

When are working with CAD 2004 ARCAVIR run more slow....

Think that will go with AVAST

Thank 's

11. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Did you uninstall and then do a clean install of ArcaVir? My email has never been slowed by ArcaVir. Was there zip files or large attachments with e-mail?

I can see where it may slow the CAD app, but not e-mail. You may want to contact Mariusz about the CAD, he may have a fix or suggestion.

For what it is worth, both your choices are very good AV's

12. larouse

Yes, Uninstalled and Run :

RegFix, RegSupreme and TuneUp Utilities 2004 to clean the registry

And I have monitored the laptop and is Running more slow in Internet IE and the all Development.

Thank's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.