Dealings and etc ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by worldcitizen, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Edit Note: Several posts had been split off a thread in the TDS forum here, and moved into this forum creating a new thread to allow the discussion of anti-virus software to continue in the correct forum - snapdragin

I had Bit defender for a while and liked it very much. Never let a virus through and worked perfectly except when XP SP 2 came out. Whenever it would update many times the Windows Security Centre would not detect the update and so I had a warning icon in my system tray that my Anti-virus was not turned on. This cause a lot of problems because it was turned on and I inadvetantly would turn it off to get rid of the Windows warning icon. I mentioned this problem to their support ages ago and waited for ages for a fix and eventually got fed up and bought Kaspersky Pro.

Bit Defender is great except for that problem with the WSC which I don't know if it has been fixed yet.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  2. SirBandit

SirBandit Registered Member

Hi, Jooske

I understand what you mean when it comes to V-scanners being a personal choice. I will check around on the forum and see what other people are having to say about the different versions. I still have almost 8 months of program updates and virius-defs left for Panda Platinum. I'll most likely will go back to when Bitdefender runs out. I guess that gives me plenty of time to read / learn about other virus scanners,firewalls and etc.

I've been thinking about the crc files check and exclusions. I think I'll just hold off for now. I got Process Guard also and I'll spend some time learning the programs. I decided not to exclude any files and you are right, one should know when files on their system have changed.

Hi, Worldcitizen

I noticed something near to that with my installation of Bitdefender to.
    WSC kept saying BD was out of date. After a couple of days, it seemed to
    return to normal. Perhaps the downloads / updates had something to do
    with that? Anyway, it seems fine now.

Thank you both for your comments!

SirB...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  3. **********

********** Registered Member

I'm new to the board, TDS-3, and have been using BitDefender for the last couple of years. I'm currently running sp2 with BitDefender and haven't had any issues with it. I assume the issue has been fixed concerning the WSC, as there are no issues with my current system.

4. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

That's good news if it's true. I still like Bit Defender very much and rate it as one of the very best AV available. It really does a good job at protecting your PC and I would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone. I was very unhappy about the WSC issue as I kept getting false reports and didn't know half the time whether my AV was turned on or off. I could download and use the eicar test but to have to do that regularly just to check if my AV was actually turned on seemed ridiculous and so I had to look elswhere. Kaspersky is equally as good but I did have a special place in my heart for Bit Defender - I just liked it.

Dave

5. SirBandit

Hi, WC / All

I plan to go back to Panda when BitDefender trial runs out and when Panda updates are over, I may buy BDer as the price is far cheaper. I haven't got any nasties since I've been using it. I might try the firewall leaktest program from grc dot com and see how that goes. I tried the Shields up test and BD firewall passed as secure. I've come to like BD and it seems to do its job well. The updates come in often and I like how it has anti-vi shield and email scanning. My default mail program is pocomail and when it checks / downloads mail, I see it being scanned in the BD's activity bar. If I run the leaktest I'll post back the results. Should set off a bunch of alerts as leaktest may fool programs into thinking its a trojan. Should be interesting if nothing else :eek:

BD, PE, TDS-3, WGuard, PGuard, SpyBot-S&D, Spysweeper .. This seems to be a pretty darn good combo for me so far.

Best & All for now

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

When there's a bug with BitDefender - Always report :)

I found Softwin's tech support to be quite good.

7. SirBandit

Hi all,

I tried to test some firewall leak test programs, but BD wiped them out on downloading. Couldn't even get them, let alone run them. I could disable BD,
    but I can't see that being fair to the v-scanner? Maybe I will though and see what happens. There is a whole bunch of them here on this web site.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/

Test / advice etc.

I've found BD to be a very good AV product. Have 3 days of 30 left on eval.
    I'll go back to Panda until it runs out. Think I might get BD after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.