Deactivated Norton Internet Security and PG

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Possum, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Possum

Possum Registered Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Hello all :

Norton Internet Security is installed by default on my system (WinXP). I don't use NIS - it is deactivated and I work with Zone Alarm Pro. I recently installed Process Guard, and set up my protected programs - not including NIS.

I just wondered, PG often tells me that c:\program files\norton internet security\symproxysvc.exe [1908] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe [884] I guess it doesn't matter as I don't use NIS, and it's therefore not one of my protected programs, but I wondered if I should just continue ignoring this alert?

ps Thanx TDS for great products - and great forums :)

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Possum,

that means NIS is still active and running on your system, you might want to uninstall it so it is gone for good, unless you have a reason for keeping it on there?

You'll have better system stability if you get rid of it. :)

-Jason-

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Do you use the Norton Antivirus portion of NIS? If not, you could just remove NIS totally from your system. I suspect the symproxysvc.exe may be coming from NAV attempting to update. This executable is not in NIS 2004 which I use, so I cannot tell for sure.

Another option if you want the NAV portion to run but not the software firewall would be to check your NIS installation disk and see if there is a custom install option that permits you to only install NAV. If there is, you could remove NIS totally and then re-install only NAV.

It would be strongly advised to obtain the uninstall information from the Symantec site (www.symantec.com) for the version of NIS that you have. Just go to www.symantec.com and then do a search using UNINSTALL 2003 or UNINSTALL 2002, etc., and you will find the uninstall info for the version of NIS that you have.

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Only one second between those posts, we work fast. :cool:

-Jason-

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Work fast and think alike...What a combo !!! :D :D *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.