De-Fingerprinting Chromium

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by joxie, Nov 22, 2016.

1. joxie

joxie Registered Member

My firefox boxes are pretty secure. I've installed many wonderful privacy extensions that mask and obfuscate what my browser transmits.

Recently, linux shortcomings have necessitated the use of chromium on a machine; firefox can't HW accelerate video.
    I'm new to this ecosystem and loaded up on ubock/umatrix and some canvas anti-fingerprinting extension. Its not canvasblocker to say the least so when I run the standard panopticlick/browserleaks/etc I get way too much back.

I've found really old plugins like rubber glove which do an OK job but break site functionality. Is there something else? Preferably something that isn't all or nothing. In FF I could expose flash and disable font detection, change platforms, etc. In chromium I can't even hide system fonts or disable the plethora of linux plugins from showing up. I wanted to try some of the HTTP header editors next but that is no substitute for regular privacy plugins.

Searched and searched but there is very little talk about securing chrome.

2. Socio

Socio Registered Member

There is an extension called Canvas Defender that creates a unique and persistent noise that hides your real canvas fingerprint.

3. Canvas Defender, uBlock Origon, uMatrix, User Agent Switcher. All good plugin's for privacy.

4. guest

guest Guest

:thumb:
    ---
    Regarding changing HTTP headers, referrer, etc.:
    If you add several "privacy"-extensions which modify headers, they can conflict with each other.
    For example if you have two extensions which are changing the referer:
    In general, the chrome API is limited regarding the modifying of headers. As mentioned above, only one extension is allowed to modify it.

If you have several extensions installed which are modifying a referer/header, the last installed extension "wins"

5. Socio

Socio Registered Member

There is a new extension out called HideMyFootprint that has a fingerprint blocker

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hidemyfootprint/kcojdhilnaddclhpggnpphdnfihjpifd?hl=en-US

I just installed it to test out the only thing that bugs me is it says it loads on system startup not browser startup not sure why that is necessary.

6. guest

guest Guest

HideMyFootprint
    Especially for users of uBlock or/and uMatrix some functions are already included in these extensions:
    - Hyperlink Auditing: uBlockO / or can be disabled with chrome://flags/#disable-hyperlink-auditing
    - Domain Blocking: uBlockO/uMatrix / filter lists
    - WebRTC Protection: uBlockO
    - User-Agent Randomiser: uMatrix
    - Third Party Cookies: uMatrix / browser
    The developer is working on some more features:
    • X-Forwarded-For header protection
    • IP Protection
    • Heuristic analysis of DOM
    • DNT Header toggle
    Features can be disabled within HideMyFootprint, so it doesn't conflict with other installed extensions, mentioned in #4 (only one extension is allowed to modify a specific header)

On the website of the developer is a test:

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Looks great, but it blocks more it should, not to mention it is hard to tell, what is enabled or disabled with its confusing settings. Test shows the same results regardless.

8. guest

guest Guest

The only test that failed for me was "Canvas Fingerprinting Protection", but i had to switch some options to have only 1 Fail.
    Sometimes i was confused too

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have just gave it a go again. I love, that it blocks everything, all-in-one, but there is a very bad side effect, it slows down loading pages very noticeable, like 5 times and it causes browser to lag.
    I have even bought the premium version to find out, if blocking all trackers would solve it, but no. I am really looking forward to use this, once it will speed up a lot, but so far it is too annoying.

10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

11. guest

guest Guest

The first release was only some weeks ago, and i think it can be further improved.
    And it will be.. if we look on the website there is a big "Working on..."-list.
    The slow speed for this extension was mentioned on the Chrome Webstore so the developer should be aware of it now.
    We'll see what the next coming version has to offer and whether the lag-issue is resolved.

12. Socio

Socio Registered Member

What I was told to reduce fingerprinting was to use Chrome, not Chromium or a Chromium trunk or even Firefox for that matter.

The reason given was that Chrome has far more users than Chromium or Firefox so it is easier to hide among the Chrome using masses.

13. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

You can use Chameleon, CanvasFingerprintBlock, ScriptSafe and HTTP Header Modifier

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.