DD9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tlkohler, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlkohler

tlkohler Registered Member

Wasn't sure where to post this as it concerns Disk Director Suite 9. First, I have all you previous products so it was a natural to upgrade my Recovery Expert software to Disk Director Suite. Unfortunately that's where the trouble began. The DD9 installation stalled on an error "Readme.txt" not found and the upgrade was aborted. So after reinstalling my previous software off we went again. Same result. On a lark, I installed the trial version and could then overwrite it with my purchased copy. Long way to go to get the software installed but it worked. Now the real trouble begins. I installed the OS Selector module and after some experimenting decided to deactive and uninstall it. Well after two days, I can only get into my WinXP hard drive by useing my floppy bootdisk. Seems that some of the things the OS Selector installs are not removed upon uninstallation. My boot now stops at the "Starting Acronis loader." even though it is no longer installed. If I do not use my original WinXP Boot Floppy, I have no access to my hard drive. How can I get this corrected, please.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, tlkohler

Welcomed to wilders and Acronis.

Your Master Boot Record as been alter.

So if you would like to try this at fixing it do the following.

Boot from your OS CD>When you get to the insall screen choose>Rapair Installion useing the Recovery Console, Press R.

Press R>
    Then Type 1 [ONE]>
    Then Enter your Password the one that you installed with. [Administer]

Then at Windows>_
    [Dos Prompt] Type>
    FIXMBR>[You will get a warning current MBR is non-standard or something like that, Ignore it]then when it ask if you are sure>Type Y.>
    Press Enter.
    Type Exit and REBOOT.

If you try this FIXMBR fix it should not make it worse only better.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Yeah, the solution provided by TheQuest would work.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

4. tlkohler

Thanks for the quick replies (I had sent several emails to Acronis tech support but haven't heard back yet). While researching my problem (on the web) I came across several articles and forum posting (not this one) that mention potential problems with partition tables disappearing after Recovery Console repair attempts with FIXMBR & FIXBOOT. I'm running WinXP SP1 with NTFS file system - anything you would suggest I be critically aware of?

And thanks again for the quick responce...

5. tlkohler

THANKS QUEST and Acronis Support. Your solution fixed my boot problem. :D

Now on to my first problem - How can I get the upgrade version of DD9 to install over Recovery Expert without stalling on "Readme.txt not found"? If I go to the directory where Recovery Expert is installed, I can see the readme file? A shortcut to it in the StartMenu folder for Acronis RE works, so why does the Disk Director installation think it's not there and halt the install? o_O

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, tlkohler

I do not have DD9 at the moment for resons I have Posted about.
    [Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 #2]

My advice would be to unintall Recovery Expert. [and or DD9]

The reinstall DD9.

As DD9 is new there might be some diffrence in the build of the
    Recovery Expert.

It is all right to do updates, but upgrades [new builds] can cause problems
    when installed over the top of a priviest build. [IMHO]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. tlkohler

Well, I've tried just about every combination of installs, uninstalls and reinstallations I can imagine and still come up with the error message stating "Readme.txt not found" and then the installation halts! :mad: Not only does the installation halt but if I'm installing DD9 as an upgrade over Partition Manager it removes that software as a part of the upgrade. While that wouldn't be a problem if DD9 was indeed installed - the upgrade fails AND takes the old program along for the 'ride'.

Any suggestions other than uninstalling & reinstalling various combinations of the Disk Director upgrade version and it's supposed upgradable products would be very much appreciated. I've been working on this for over a month now (with NO RESPONSE from Acronis Tech Support to date). :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.