DD10 is confused about partitions??!!

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Mrpete, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrpete

Mrpete Registered Member

I hope you can fix this defect soon; it is rather frustrating:

In the past, I've had intermittent trouble with PE and now DD refusing to copy partitions, due to an error that is undetectable to Windows and any other software.

Now, I've got a nice solid error in DD10. And it is preventing me from copying an important boot partition.

First, some info about this partition:
    * It is 100% perfectly readable and writeable with a wide variety of tools including chkdsk, various defrag tools, windows explorer and more. No errors of any kind, all attributes pass A-OK.

* I'm running WinXP SP1 with all patches, and DD10 latest release

* The drive is a WD 80G, with a 5G and a 75G partition. The 75G is primary/ active.

* The drive is attached to a functioning machine; I've tried both using IDE controller and USB2.0 with same results, so am using USB2.0 for convenience. I've set things so autoplay is not used, the drive is not indexed nor monitored by Windows. TaskInfo2003 shows no files or handles are open on the partition.

The symptoms in DD10:

* If I simply open DD10, the partition summary shows Capacity 70.44GB, 11.63GB used, 58.81GB free. All of which is correct.

* If I then attempt to copy, OR if I try to view the partition properties, then
    Free space changes to 0 bytes... and the copy is refused.

* The properties values are then messed up:
    Error: "File System Error: File record corrupted"
    File Records: Size 1kb, Total 0, Free 0
    Clusters: Total 70.44GB (18,465,299), Free 0
    Special: reserved (boot record): 0 bytes, Log file size 0 bytes

* Close and reopen DD10 and all seems well again.

Obviously, something about this drive's layout and/or parameters is driving DD10 crazy!

I've seen other software get confused about handling the hidden NTFS $Logfile. (chkdsk /L...)

On this partition, the logfile was set to 65536KB, I've tried setting it to 32767kb (chkdsk E: /L:32767)... that didn't help.

I notice the MFT zone is way near the end of the partition while the data is near the start. Could that relate in any way?

How can I help you dig in and find/fix this bug in DD10?

Thanx,
    MrPete

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MrPete,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also do the following:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application:
    - Run the application;
    - Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;
    - Move the margin to the right in order to see all the items;
    - Make a screen shot and send it to us.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Mrpete

Mrpete Registered Member

THANKS for the detailed followthrough, Kirill.

OK, all steps complete and a zip emailed to support. Hope it is helpful!

(Your tests did not fix the issue)

Looking forward to whatever you find!

Blessings,
    Pete

4. Acronis Support

Hello Pete,

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. Mrpete

Mrpete Registered Member

Thank YOU! :-D

p

6. Mrpete

Mrpete Registered Member

Perhaps lack of response indicates my report is being seriously worked on... but I've heard nothing in several days. How's it going?

Thx,
    MrPete

7. Acronis Support

Hello MrPete,

As I can see, our support engineer Konstantin Karikov is already working on your issue. Please send him the requested information and he will certainly provide you with the further instructions.

If you have not received his response then please let us know about that on this forum. We will send you his instructions again.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. Mrpete

Mrpete Registered Member

I received his request to re-run chkdsk and resend reports. I did that. (As with my original report, chkdsk did not find any trouble.)

I've not heard a response since then, which is why I wrote.

If there's been further response and/or further requested info, I've not received that.

Thanks,
    Pete

9. Mrpete

Mrpete Registered Member

OK, got a message from tech support.

I (twice) have attempted to reply. There's something wrong with your tech support email system: both times, my response was immediately emailed back to me, FROM support@acronis.com, containing exactly what I wrote and nothing more or less??!!

Do you know if anyone actually received the message(s) I sent earlier today?

Thanks,
    Pete

10. Acronis Support

Hello Mrpete,

As I can see, all your messages were received and forwarded t our Development Team. You will be provided with further instructions via e-mail as soon as we receive a reply with results of investigation from our developers. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.