DD Suite - Linux and Grub

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by walt+walt, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walt+walt

walt+walt Registered Member

I am running on my system XP-Pro, Linux-Suse, Linux-Ubuntu and probably more in the future.
    Now, when I install Linux it automatically creates a GRUB (probably out of MBR) - this results in a Boot-Procedure like this:
    1 - Acronis OS-Selector
    2 - Grub

Question: Is there a way to avoid GRUB ? If yes, what has to be done ?

Question: Can I access DD Suite directly from Linux ? If yes, how ?

Many thanks and cheers, walt

2. nuljet

nuljet Registered Member

Usually, proper Linux installers will let you install grub in the boot partition and let other boot managers chainload grub; Suse for example lets you do this upon install, in 'advanced options'. But Ubuntu doesn't; at least not with the usual download. To get that special option, you unfortunately have to install ubuntu with their 'aleternate' cd (no 'alternate' dvd).
    Read the respective linux distro instructions to know how to do all this.

This won't let you avoid grub, but it will prevent grub taking over the boot process and let acronis os selector take charge as usual.

On the other hand, grub is a very good boot manager... and is free. It can handle vista for example without any hack like the one needed with acronis in its current incarnation. It has less eye-candy though.

As for how to use dd directly from linux... i guess you could try installing wine and then dd... don't know the compatibility... But then why? Suse (and ubuntu) have quite competent partition managers.

3. walt+walt

walt+walt Registered Member

Thanks nuljet. I do appreciate your quick and good answer very much. And yes, your suggestions are fine for me. solong, walt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.