DD Suite 10 failure to partition: runtime error

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by homeoffice, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homeoffice

homeoffice Registered Member

Advice appreciated:

I am trying to partition a new Thinkpad T61 with DD10 (also tried with Partitionexpert 2003). When going trough the Wizard, DD10 terminates with a run-time error message when chekcing the volumes. Partitionexpert terminates with a "not enough file space" message. Either is not correct. There must be some incompability (Kapersky is the only app running which is newly installed). Any ideas?

Thanks

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Vista or XP?

3. homeoffice

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Thought so. There is a bug in Vista's kernel transaction manager that shows up when a program attempts to lock a drive. Both Disk Director and TrueImage scan through the partitions when the programs start. When the bug is triggered the scan stops and the program hangs up. On my machine I never got a run-time error message; the program just hangs during the scan.

There is a thread here in the TrueImage forums that discusses this and ends up with an interesting post from a guy at Microsoft who is on the team that wrote the code for the kernel transaction manager; see post #26. The bug fix will supposedly be released with Vista SP1.

In the mean time you can work around this. If there is a paging file on a partition then the partition will not be locked and the bug will not be triggered. I split my paging file up between all of the partitions on the disk, keeping it the same overall size, and have not had any problems since.

By the way, do not try to make changes to your Vista partition while Vista is running. Your best bet is to boot to the Disk Director recovery environment and make your changes while Vista is not running. If you have not created the recovery CD yet then use the Bootable Media Builder menu choice on the "Tools" menu to make one. Also, if you make any change to your Vista partition that moves its starting sector then you will need to repair Vista afterwards by using the Windows Recovery Environment on the Vista DVD.

Sorry if you already knew this but it trips up a lot of people.

5. homeoffice

Many thanks. The IBM T61 come pre-configured with locked partitions (recovery disk and one other partition) which cannot be altered. I guess I have to wait until SP1. I did not see anything in the FAQ at Acronis.

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

homeoffice:

But you should still be able to repartition by running the recovery version of Disk Director from a CD or USB flash drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.