dcsuserprot.exe and pgaccount.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Papabear, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papabear

Papabear Registered Member

PG trying to terminate itself??

"dcsuserprot.exe was blocked from terminating pgaccount.exe"

I recently installed PG v 3.150 Full Version. Have XP SP2. When I "switch user" this alert starts and keeps going until I log out, thousands of times! It seems I can't have two users logged in at the same time.

I don't know a lot about these machines. What is happening, and what do I do about it? :doubt:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  2. war59312

war59312 Registered Member

Re: PG trying to terminate itself??

Hey,

Well dcsuserprot.exe is PG's service. And pgaccount.exe is also apart of PG.

I'm not familer with how PG interacts with Fast User Switching so I can not say why this is happening. However, I would guess that when switching users it terminates itself and then restarts. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

But here is how I believe you can solve the problem.

Simply allow dcsuserprot.exe to terminate pgaccount.exe .

Bring up Process Guard's main menu by simply clicking its system tray icon (that is, its icon next to the clock on your taskbar.

Click the "Protection Tab" and now look for dcsuserprot.exe and simply click it which then highlights it and bings up its option panel and the bottom of the window.

Now under "Authorize this applicatioin to" check the "Terminate protected applications" checkbox.

Take Care,
    Will

3. Papabear

Papabear Registered Member

Thanks Will, I have dcsuserprot.exe allowed to Terminate+Modify+Read and pgaccount.exe set to Read only and I have not had a repeat of this problem.

After posting my query I found Andreas' Secure Windows Pages - DCS ProcessGuard (v3) details at

http://www.commontology.de/andreas/win_secure_pg3.html

and that was very helpful - in addition to a careful reading of the PG helpfile(!) and use of "File Info" from the Security window.

I'm guessing that it would probably also work if NEITHER ONE were allowed to Terminate protected apps.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.