DCSUSERPROT.EXE accessing the internet

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nameless, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I have PG 3.050 installed on WinXP SP-2. Just now, Look 'n' Stop notified me that DCSUSERPROT.EXE wanted access to the internet. This was a surprise.

I fired up Port Explorer, and used Socket Spy to try to see what communication was taking place, but after authorizing the access, it looks like nothing happened. But still, Look 'n' Stop has DCSUSERPROT.EXE listed in the list of applications with active connections. (NirSoft CurrPorts did not.)

I'm running the beta Look 'n' Stop driver, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not saying that something nefarious is going on; just pointing out that something goofy may be going on for those who use LNS. In other words, a heads up. Maybe this should go in the LNS forum instead, in fact.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

DCSUSERPROT.EXE has no need to access the Internet (and I have never seen it attempt this) so I would agree that the LnS beta-driver seems the most likely cause. If this symptom stops when you remove it, that would help confirm it.

3. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

something along those lines has been present in the non-beta driver of LnS as well, I'm not sure if it was dcsuserprot.exe as well, but anyway, it was confirmed being a false alert by LnS. I would not worry too much about it, but maybe check back on the LnS forum about this (new) issue.

HTH,
    Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.